Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download full resolution files from iCloud Photos

I have iCloud photos turned on for both my iPhone and Mac. My iCloud has recently become full so I decided to download some of the files locally and delete those from iCloud.

My issue is when I open the photos app on Mac and drag a file out it isn't the same size as on iCloud. Clicking the 'get info' button on Photos and the local file shows significantly different sizes.

However, when visiting iCloud through the browser and downloading the same file the full-res image and video files are downloaded.

Only thing I can think of is that I have the iCloud photos setting to optimise turned on as my Mac storage is full. But when I drag the files out of the Photos app it takes a long time for those to copy which suggests to me it is downloading the full file rather than just copying the locally stored optimised version.

Curious to whether this is a bug or just down to the fact that the optimise storage option is turned on.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 1:14 AM

Only thing I can think of is that I have the iCloud photos setting to optimise turned on as my Mac storage is full. But when I drag the files out of the Photos app it takes a long time for those to copy which suggests to me it is downloading the full file rather than just copying the locally stored optimised version.

When you drag photos from the browser in Photos you are just saving the previews of your photos.

To have a full control over the size and compression of the saved files select the photos in Photos and use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified original" or "file > Export > Export ... photos" to export the edited versions. The export pane lets you select the file format and the size of the edited versions. You can select several photos at once for exporting.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2018 1:14 AM in response to dj-hass

When you drag photos from the browser in Photos you are just saving the previews of your photos.

To have a full control over the size and compression of the saved files select the photos in Photos and use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified original" or "file > Export > Export ... photos" to export the edited versions. The export pane lets you select the file format and the size of the edited versions. You can select several photos at once for exporting.

User uploaded file

Nov 16, 2018 1:16 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for that, it makes sense and I went though all the settings a few times but don’t think I ever noticed that option.

I eventually just downloaded them all through the browser in the end. It’s definitely not as simple and straight forward as it should be in the Photos app though.

Thanks again for the help.

Download full resolution files from iCloud Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.