Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access admin user

I tried to change my username but suddenly my account has been changed to "standard" and now every time I want to unlock to make changes, it asks for the administrator username and password and it does not accept my username and password. How to solve this issue?

Mac Pro, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 15, 2018 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2018 6:53 AM

Reset Admin Password

Restart in Recovery Mode (command-r). From the Utilities menu in the Mac OS X Utilities menu, choose Terminal. At the prompt enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press Return. A Reset Password window will pop up. Select your startup volume in the top of the window and then, from the pop-up menu select a user account.

In the fields below enter and confirm your new password then click on Save. Now choose Restart from the Apple menu. Your Mac should now use the new password you’ve created.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2018 6:53 AM in response to vitoclo

Reset Admin Password

Restart in Recovery Mode (command-r). From the Utilities menu in the Mac OS X Utilities menu, choose Terminal. At the prompt enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press Return. A Reset Password window will pop up. Select your startup volume in the top of the window and then, from the pop-up menu select a user account.

In the fields below enter and confirm your new password then click on Save. Now choose Restart from the Apple menu. Your Mac should now use the new password you’ve created.

Can't access admin user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.