Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change case of text in Pages

I'm looking for a simple and logical way to change the case of text in Pages (7.2).

The Format > [gear] > Capitalization function doesn't work as I imagine it should (see MS Word). If the text was originally typed in UPPERCASE LETTERS, then I change it to lowercase (not currently an option in Pages so I have to use Start Case - which, in my mind = Title Case) I will get "Uppercase Letters", but this area of text has a conditional formatting applied which now affects all text typed into, or pasted into, it. "Uppercase CAPITAL Letters" will appear as "Uppercase Capital Letters". This means that the SHIFT and CAPS LOCK keys don't work. There is no way to detect that this will happen in the text.

Additionally, the option "None" doesn't work as it there is no change to text typed in CAPITALS.

Ben.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 15, 2018 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2018 11:10 PM

Hi Ben,

I am trying to change case in regular body text, not a table.

Are you using Menu > Format > Font > Capitilization?

User uploaded file

Try this:

Select the text;

User uploaded file

Menu > Edit > Transformations > Make Lower Case

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

That changes the ASCII (Unicode) value to a true lower case value.

I realise that you are not using a table to do that, but here is a test that I did in a Pages table using the CODE() function to reveal the Unicode values before and after Menu > Edit > Transformations > Make Lower Case.

I had to split each word into single letters, because that is how CODE() works.

User uploaded file

Upper case letters, converted to lower case letters, now have an ASCII (Unicode) value of 32 greater than their uppercase counterpart.

All is good!

Regards,

Ian.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2018 11:10 PM in response to BTBROAD

Hi Ben,

I am trying to change case in regular body text, not a table.

Are you using Menu > Format > Font > Capitilization?

User uploaded file

Try this:

Select the text;

User uploaded file

Menu > Edit > Transformations > Make Lower Case

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

That changes the ASCII (Unicode) value to a true lower case value.

I realise that you are not using a table to do that, but here is a test that I did in a Pages table using the CODE() function to reveal the Unicode values before and after Menu > Edit > Transformations > Make Lower Case.

I had to split each word into single letters, because that is how CODE() works.

User uploaded file

Upper case letters, converted to lower case letters, now have an ASCII (Unicode) value of 32 greater than their uppercase counterpart.

All is good!

Regards,

Ian.

Nov 15, 2018 9:59 PM in response to BTBROAD

HI Ben,

Are you doing the change case of text within the body text of a Pages document, or within table cells? Please confirm.

If within table cells, you can use the LOWER() function. That changes every letter to lower case.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If this is not what you are after, please reply with more details. A Screen Shot will help us to help you (a picture paints a thousand words 😉).

Regards,

Ian.

Nov 16, 2018 2:57 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Yellowbox,

I was using Menu > Format > Font > Capitilization. This leaves an area of conditional formatting.

The Menu > Edit > Transformations > Make Lower Case solution is good (except for Title Case). Odd that there are 2 places to go to do the same type of thing, but Transformations is better than the Capitalization process for what I want to do.

Thanks for your assistance.

Ben.

Change case of text in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.