Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mobile Data Update Failed

Hi,

Have an iPhone 7 Model A1778 bought in Ireland with iOS 12.1 installed. Since installing this version when I turn on my phone I get an error 'Mobile Data Update Failed' and cannot get any service. The carrier settings are not possible to toggle, when I go into Carrier it tells me 'An update is required to use mobile data on this phone'.

I have tried:

Turn on/off

Turn on/off with sim card in/out

Reset network settings

Reset settings

I cannot reset to factory as it warns me I will be unable to activate it.

When I plug it into my macbook it will not sync with iTunes but it is connected as I can access the gallery thru 'Image Capture' app.

Can anyone advise how I can fix this as I really need my phone for work?

Thanks

iPhone 7, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 2:47 PM

You seem to have two very different problems. Let's address the straightforward one first.

jerryfrommallow wrote:

When I plug it into my macbook it will not sync with iTunes but it is connected

Are you using MacOS Mojave (and therefore iTunes 12.9)? Hopefully you are, but if not:

If your iOS 12 device isn't recognized by iTunes, you might need to upgrade macOS or iTunes - Apple Support

Now for the carrier update issue:

jerryfrommallow wrote:

Have an iPhone 7 Model A1778 bought in Ireland

You mention Ireland there. Did you mention that because you are currently in some other country? If so, is it outside the European Union? Perhaps that is the reason for your carrier update issue. Provide more details if this is the case.

Settings > General > About (while connected to the internet) should normally provide the background to perform a carrier update.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2018 2:47 PM in response to jerryfrommallow

You seem to have two very different problems. Let's address the straightforward one first.

jerryfrommallow wrote:

When I plug it into my macbook it will not sync with iTunes but it is connected

Are you using MacOS Mojave (and therefore iTunes 12.9)? Hopefully you are, but if not:

If your iOS 12 device isn't recognized by iTunes, you might need to upgrade macOS or iTunes - Apple Support

Now for the carrier update issue:

jerryfrommallow wrote:

Have an iPhone 7 Model A1778 bought in Ireland

You mention Ireland there. Did you mention that because you are currently in some other country? If so, is it outside the European Union? Perhaps that is the reason for your carrier update issue. Provide more details if this is the case.

Settings > General > About (while connected to the internet) should normally provide the background to perform a carrier update.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Mobile Data Update Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.