Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Totally Erasing an iMac

My old Mac: Processor speed - 3.06 Gz, Storage - 500 GB, has a 21.5 inch Display and 4 GB of Memory. Sad to say that it has been replaced by a newer, faster model and I would like instructions on the best way to erase it completely. There's no need to reinstall Mac OS because it's headed for salvage. Can you help?

Peggy

iMac, High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 3:09 PM

Peggy,

Follow the steps listed in: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

User uploaded file

5 replies

Nov 17, 2018 3:39 PM in response to DollLady

Hello, I'm not sure if I should be answering this but thought I might shed some light on what I did.

I came here to ask so technical questions out of the norm and found your subject and thought, what the heck.

I have a late 2012 iMac 27" that had 8GB of memory and a 1TB HD.

A lag in the iMac led to an authorized dealer looking at it and finding a bad 4GB memory chip.

It was pretty straight forward to replace myself and very inexpensive to upgrade.

But I was hesitant because it was 6 years old, the HD was full and thought the logic board needed to be newer.

After so simple research, I found the logic board wasn't to old and did not require changing, but still the HD issue to address.

I found a third party that offered an all-in-one HD upgrade package that well exceeded my HD needs & very affordable.

I was cautious, worried that I'd mess it up.

It was so easy and had it done in 45 min I was very happy with the results of my upgraded iMac.

Since you "Q:" was unanswered, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in

Regards

Totally Erasing an iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.