Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Wi-Fi Base Station

Airport Utility indicates the base station overheating.

The unit was on carpet which probably caused it to overheat.

I placed it on a hard surface with no results so I unplugged it and let it cool.

I plugged it in and the amber light is still blinking and the airport utility still indicates it may be overheating.

Any suggestions as to my problem?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Airport Base Station vs 7.7.9

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 11:23 AM

If your AirPort is the "tall" or "tower" shaped version....and....the AirPort is a year or more of age, a common problem with the AirPort is an internal cooling fan that has become clogged with dust. So, the cooling efficiency of the fan is reduced, and it cannot keep the internal power supply cool enough to avoid issues.

When you unplug the AirPort, it will of course cool down and operate normally.....until the next overheating issue occurs.

To find out if we are on the right track, please post back to let us know which version of the AirPort router that you have.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2018 11:23 AM in response to mike.sheehan

If your AirPort is the "tall" or "tower" shaped version....and....the AirPort is a year or more of age, a common problem with the AirPort is an internal cooling fan that has become clogged with dust. So, the cooling efficiency of the fan is reduced, and it cannot keep the internal power supply cool enough to avoid issues.

When you unplug the AirPort, it will of course cool down and operate normally.....until the next overheating issue occurs.

To find out if we are on the right track, please post back to let us know which version of the AirPort router that you have.

Nov 18, 2018 6:53 PM in response to mike.sheehan

This indicates that you have the most recent "tower" shaped version of the AirPort Extreme.

IF....the product is less than 1 year old, Apple will replace the AirPort for you.

IF....you have AppleCare on a Mac in effect, then the AirPort Extreme might be covered for up to 3 years from its purchase date. The "rules" are complicated, so you will need to get with Apple Support for details.

IF.....the AirPort Extreme is not covered.....AND.....you are a good do-it-yourself type person, it is possible to open up the AirPort Extreme and clean out the fan. Even better, replace the fan.

AirPort Extreme A1521 Teardown - iFixithttps://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPort+Extreme+A1521+Teardown/15044

Fan For Apple Airport Extreme A1521 Cooling Fan$18.50eBayFree shipping, no tax

A shop could probably perform the service and fan replacement as well, but the price of service would likely exceed the cost of a new AirPort Extreme.

Airport Wi-Fi Base Station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.