Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whining/droning noise

I have a MacBook Pro that has a noise coming from the drive/under the keyboard. It's not high pitch, but rather a droning noise. I can only hear it if the room is completely silent. It seems to always make this noise. Right now I only have Opera and stickies open. I am concerned as I don't want the computer to fail as it's my only computer and I don't have the resources (nor want to) upgrade. What is this and what can I do?

OS X.9.5

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024

Mac HD 273.78 GB free of 499.25GB

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply
7 replies

Nov 18, 2018 12:37 PM in response to Cåts

Hi!

I started in Safe Mode and I don't hear the noise - just the regular ticking/hum of the drive. What do I do now? Do I reset the SMC and then reset the NVRAM/Pram?

Edit: The noise still might be there, but it's definitely not as loud. I have to put my ear up to the keyboard and I hear the typical humming/ticking and what might possibly be the same sound in the background. I can't really tell for sure as my mind might be playing tricks on me.

Nov 18, 2018 4:28 PM in response to Cåts

Thank you!

I've done all that now. Unfortunately, I do still hear a noise. It's the same noise as in Safe Mode, not as loud, but still audible if I put my ear up to the keyboard. (Before, I could hear how I normally sit, with my head about two feet away from the keyboard.)

How worried should I be? Do I need to replace a part?

Whining/droning noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.