Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Tv 4K not providing the Dolby Atmos Sound.

I have Recently connected my New Apple Tv 4K with My Denon AVR-X3400H receiver with High speed belkin HDMI cable ( Recommended by apple). Updated Software in both Devices. Set the Apple Tv Adudio format to Dolby atmos. I have 5.1.2 Dolby atmos set up ( two SVS prime elevation speaker as a dolby Speaker, Samsung HU9000 4K Tv, B&W MT50 Home heater Speakers & B&W ASW 608 subwoofer for 5.1 setup). tried all the possible options to get the dolby atmos sound but could not get that. The info of apple Tv & Denon AV receiver do not show any Dolby atmos logo while playing 'Fantastic Beasts" in apple Tv. Even not a single Trailer in Apple Tv Produces Dolby Atoms sound.Can any one suggest what are the remedies for this trouble.

Apple TV 4K, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 19, 2018 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 3:58 AM

You will have to connect the Apple TV directly the to the AV receiver by HDMI – not to the TV, as Dolby Atmos from Apple TV requires more bandwidth than ARC can offer. “Most televisions don’t support Dolby Atmos pass-through to sound bars and receivers,” and “Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections. [1]

Maybe you have done so, but it is not in your setup description.

Don’t go by trailers, as there is no rule that the trailer AV quality will match the feature film. It can match, but it doesn’t have to.

Dolby Atmos may not be available for alternate languages. Likely only for the primary (original) language audio track.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2018 3:58 AM in response to Ikaisar

You will have to connect the Apple TV directly the to the AV receiver by HDMI – not to the TV, as Dolby Atmos from Apple TV requires more bandwidth than ARC can offer. “Most televisions don’t support Dolby Atmos pass-through to sound bars and receivers,” and “Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections. [1]

Maybe you have done so, but it is not in your setup description.

Don’t go by trailers, as there is no rule that the trailer AV quality will match the feature film. It can match, but it doesn’t have to.

Dolby Atmos may not be available for alternate languages. Likely only for the primary (original) language audio track.

Nov 19, 2018 10:10 PM in response to Ikaisar

High speed Belkin HDMI cable (recommended by Apple).

It is a bit more subtle than that. ‘High Speed’ is a very specific designation for HDMI cables. I think you have been recommended ‘Premium High Speed’ or better for 4K HDR:

HDMI 1.0–1.2 cables: “Standard” (rated for up to 5 Gbps);

HDMI 1.3–1.4 cables: “High Speed” (10 Gbps) – (Apple TV (4th generation) has an HDMI 1.4 port to match);

HDMI 2.0 cables: “Premium High Speed” (18 Gbps) – (Apple TV 4K has an HDMI 2.0 port to match);

HDMI 2.1 cables: “Ultra High Speed” (48 Gbps) – Note that there is no consumer equipment with HDMI 2.1 ports yet, to make use of all that bandwidth.

Some cables are not up to spec, and may perform poorly. Cables with quality control/guaranty/warranty should perform as advertised. How much bandwidth actually is needed, is food for a different post. Belkin has a history with Apple equipment compliancy; so Apple knows to expect good cables from them.

Set the Apple TV Audio Format to Dolby Atmos.

That option would only be available if a capable receiver is detected. It seems you are almost there.
Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

The document also provides some caveats to make it work, so don’t skip the small gray text (Quick Start, ARC).

Feb 10, 2019 12:16 PM in response to Ikaisar

Ok guys.... I had geek squad come out and do a "basic audio setup" for $140. It was by far the best money I've ever spent because now I'm getting Dolby Atmos for the following....

-Netflix-(All Atmos content)

-Vudu app/Apple TV

-Vudu app/Samsung-M8500 (streaming)

-Amazon Prime-Jack Ryan (surprising)

----NO iTunes* (unfortunately)

I'm okay getting no Atmos on iTunes because before Geek Squad came out I wasn't receiving "ANY" audio for Atmos content through the 4k Apple TV.

Please keep in mind that the information I'm going to post is only plausible for my experience and my specs.

Samsung QLED 55"Q6"

Onkyo TX-NR787

9.2CH 220W THX NETWORK 4K REC

2 KLIPSCH REFERENCE II R-51-M

1 KLIPSCH REFERENCE II R-100SW

1 KLIPSCH REFERENCE II R-34-C

2 KLIPSCH REFERENCE PREMIERE 500SA

Mar 20, 2019 6:42 PM in response to JDizzle77

Hey man! Glad my Post helped.

So I took my Onkyo NR-787 back and upgraded to a Pioneer LX-503 "Elite". The minute I hooked it up to iTunes Dolby Atmos "rented & purchased" movies automatically worked. So now I'm able to access Dolby Atmos through everything on the 4k Apple TV.

-Vudu App

-Netflix

-Amazon Prime (1 movie they offer)

-All iTunes!!!

So your question is interesting and complicated but it has a simple answer..... When you hook an AV receiver to a QLED TV you run the recommended Belkin "Dolby Vision" HDMI cable (IN) the receiver via the Apple TV.... Then (OUT) ARC "Main" into ARC on Samsung QLED TV. Preferably a high-end cable... I have an Audioquest Chocolate. But I'm sure anything would do.

So you set it up as if you were going to use it like ARC... but here's the catch.

It will not relay the information like "audio return channel" typically does as if you had a soundbar.

The number one factor that Best Buy Geek Squad found was to NOT use the Samsung TV as a Smart TV. Meaning that you cannot use the universal remote option and the HDMI source boxes you have to make one source and it should be ONLY be for the (AV Receiver) "view pictures below"

Furthermore, with my QLED Q6 I am not able to watch in HDR-10+ even though the Q6 is compatible.

However, using an AV receiver and utilizing the "Ultra HD"component looks WAY better then HDR via Samsung, Sony, LG sound bars via Roku or even Apple TV 4K. So don't let this discourage you. Do not set chroma to 4:2:2. It will not work! Trust me you will not be disappointed in the picture.

(My AV receiver hooked up to my Q6 looks way better than my Samsung sound bar hooked up to my Q8. Especially using Roku ultra or Amazon fire stick). Apple TV 4k did look close but still not as good.

And then of course toggling between "quick start".... on.... off...back on... and then restart Apple TV. I've heard is the most successful way to make it work as well. Also turning off audio description.

So no universal remote and only make one source!

Let me know if u have anymore issues. If you do, also let me know what kind of Onkyo you have. Good Luck!

Nov 19, 2018 10:26 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your reply. I have set Apple Tv 4K & checked all setting as well as connection but still can’t get the Dolby Atmos sound . ( set the Apple TV Audio Format to Dolby Atmos, Receiver is compatible with both Dolby vision & Dolby Atmos, Quick start in Apple TV is set to ON, AV receiver is connected to Tv with another premium Belkin HDMI cable, ARC is turned on in Apple TV for my Tv sound ). I don’t see any Dolby Atmos logo/Sign while I pay any Dolby Atmos trailer/Movies under the info of Apple Tv or Receiver.Looking for solutions to fix that issues.

Nov 20, 2018 4:15 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I appreciate your response.Just to let you know that I connected my Apple TV to my Denon receiver by Premium Belkin HDMI Cable & my Tv is hooked up to AV receiver by another premium Belkin HDMI cable. I knew that Dolby Atmos Will not pass through ARC. Another point that you have raised is trailers ,may not contain Dolby Atmos.i totally agree with you.But to check whether the Dolby Atmos is working in Full movies, I rented a movie( fantastic beasts and where to find them)from iTunes which supposed to have Dolby Atmos as it was tagged with both Dolby Atmos & Dolby vision logo .Unfortunately I didn’t get the Dolby Atmos from this movie.is there any thing in receiver setting?i checked the speaker set up & Amp assignment-all these are ok.i connected the Dolby Atmos speaker in Right port that supports Dolby Atmos in receiver.

Nov 20, 2018 11:57 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Now I finally able to get the Dolby Atmos.As per your advice I just changed the language in Apple TV info(from English (US)AD to English (Us)) for my rented movie:”Fantastic Beasts & where to find them “& it started working-the Dolby Atmos.now my receiver info is showing Dolby Atmos logo & I hear the sound.

Thanks a lot for your generous support .

Dec 1, 2018 9:02 PM in response to vbplar

Yes, finally I was able to get the Dolby Atmos . Please keep in mind that movie trailer will not provide Dolby Atmos sound.only the movies with Dolby Atmos either Rented or purchased will provide Dolby Atmos sound.The way I got my sound was very simple.I just changed the Audio in info bar of movie from English (US)AD to English (US).All the Atmos movies provide Atmos sounds when they are in original language Audio Tract .make sure your AD(Audio Description) is off in Apple Tv’s setting (setting-general-Accessibility-Audio description-off). Please double check that you have got the Right high speed HDMI cables (Apple recommend Belkin premier HDMI) & Keep in mind that Dolby doesn’t work on HDMI -ARC.

Feb 3, 2019 1:59 PM in response to Ikaisar

Hey man I just saw your post. I just posted this yesterday. I think we're having the same problem. Have you found a solution? The "Solved" answer that you received hasn't worked for me.

It's obvious that you have to go 4K Apple TV to receiver......then use ARC directional cable to the TV to have any chance at activating Atmos.

From my receiver I have in "HDMI 1" the recommended Apple Belkin cable (from 4k Apple TV) and then I'm running Audioquest "Chocolate" via ARC from receiver to TV. Still no luck on iTunes or Netflix getting Atmos.

(Compatible AV receiver/4k Apple TV/Dolby Atmos)

So I'm having trouble accessing Dolby Atmos from iTunes and Netflix ONLY from the 4k Apple TV. I have the following specs for my Home theater. I'm running a 5.1.2

Everything works great except for trying to access iTunes or Netflix Dolby Atmos content. I was easily able to access Dolby Atmos with the same 4K Apple TV when I had a Samsung N950 soundbar. Using the Belkin Dolby Vision HDMI cable.

Here's the real confusion.......I am able to access Dolby Atmos through Vudu on my Samsung M8500 Blu-ray player.

The receiver responses and turns on Dolby Atmos.....just not on the 4K Apple TV. I believe it's a receiver problem.

Does anyone know of a foolproof AV receiver that accesses Dolby Atmos and DTS-X in iTunes and Netflix on the 4K Apple TV?

Onkyo TX-NR787                
  9.2CH 220W THX NETWORK 4K REC

1 KLIPSCH REFERENCE II R-100SW   
 1 KLIPSCH REFERENCE II R-34-C 
 2 KLIPSCH REFERENCE PREMIERE 500SA

Feb 3, 2019 10:21 PM in response to tdeath

Yep! I talked to a lot of different people and I still have not found one person that was able to get Dolby Atmos on Netflix or iTunes through an AV receiver.

I had the 4k Apple TV producing Atmos through Netflix and iTunes perfectly on my Samsung N950 Soundbar, but I returned it for this home theater system. I've had a few recommendations of different receivers, so I might try one.

This receiver at least will produce Atmos through Vudu on my Blu-ray player. Keep me posted if you find a solution and I'll do the same!

My Apple Tv 4K not providing the Dolby Atmos Sound.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.