Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Updating stuck in Moments

In Apple Photos I have about 18000 and use iCloud photo library. Originals stored on Mac and iPhone. On Mac when 'Moments" is selected it says Updating but the number of items never changes (7353) how do I find out where it's getting stuck?

Many thanks

Mike

Using 10.14.1

Posted on Nov 19, 2018 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2018 11:42 AM

You may want to check, if your library contains items, that are incompatible wit iCloud Photos.

Create the two smart albums described in this document:

Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Are the smart albums empty?

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 23, 2018 6:31 AM in response to small_IT

I thought Apple photos was supposed to convert JPG to HEIC?

Your iPhone will take new photos in the HEIC format, and new videos in the NEVC format, unless you disable this. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022#working

But Photos will not automatically convert previously imported JPEGs to HEIC. That would break the lossless workflow. I am using Preview to convert older JPEGs to HEIC, but that requires an export and reimport after converting the format.

Nov 21, 2018 3:01 PM in response to léonie

Léonie, I have made both Smart Albums and they both contain zero items. The Last updated says Updating 7353 items and never moves from that figure. On iCloud in Safari it says last updated 22.57 (current time) but the number of photos is different (about 500 lower on the website) compared with the number on my Mac in Apple photos.

FWIW I don't have very fast internet. 1Mb upload and about 15Mb download.

Many thanks

Mike

Nov 21, 2018 11:14 PM in response to small_IT

The "updating" numbers may not change at all for a long time.

You may want to compare the numbers of videos on your Mac to the number of videos on iCloud. Frequently the videos are the items that are causing problems. But also photos with an unusual format or color profile. Check, if your library has any photos that are not plain JPEGs.

Nov 22, 2018 3:07 PM in response to léonie

I have now removed all movies (after export!) I seem to have a mixture of HEIF, JPG and JPEG. I have removed PDF's too. I have compared the number in each media section and they match in cloud an on the Mac.

I thought Apple photos was supposed to convert JPG to HEIC?

I'll leave the app open overnight and see if the updated number changes.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Kind regards. Mike

Nov 23, 2018 6:42 AM in response to léonie

The iPhone or iPad will save storage using the HEIC format, but not your Mac.

I noticed that the HEIC files on my Mac are all having JPEG shadow copies for the Media Browser in a cache in my user library, and this cache is huge: more than 3000 jpegs, a total of 10.27 GB in addition to the originals and thumbnails in my Photos Library.

The cache is stored here: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.MediaLibraryService/Data/Library/Caches/com.appl e.iLifeMediaBrowser.ILPhotosTranscodeCache/

So it appears, that we will use more storage than before on our Mac, if we are using the space saving HEIC format.

Photos Updating stuck in Moments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.