Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photo says downloading but never does

I have had Photos open for weeks now on my Macbook Pro 2018. Most but not all photos I take with my iPhone 10 show up but not all. When I look at the bottom of my Photos app on the Macbook it reads "Downloading 78 Originals Pause." That number has grown over the last few weeks from 12 to now 78 but some photos are there and some are not. However, after days of leaving it open these images never download to Mac Photos app so the photos on my iPhone are not syncing consistently to Photos app. I have tried closing and opening Photos and restarting my Macbook. I don't see any storage or memory issues and not sure what else to do. I looked at all settings and all are set up correctly to sync with iCloud.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 12:06 PM

There may be items in iCloud (uploaded on older system versions), that are no longer compatible with Photos 5.0 on Catalina and cannot be downloaded from iCloud. Not all video codecs and image formats, that worked in earlier versions of photos are supported on Catalina.

You may also want to check fro problems with your appleID - sometimes you simply need to update the details for your payment method or credit card, for example the expiration date of the credit card, or free iCloud storage.

Or are you using a third party firewall, tat might be blocking the access to apple's cloud servers?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 12:06 PM in response to jayfeitlinger

There may be items in iCloud (uploaded on older system versions), that are no longer compatible with Photos 5.0 on Catalina and cannot be downloaded from iCloud. Not all video codecs and image formats, that worked in earlier versions of photos are supported on Catalina.

You may also want to check fro problems with your appleID - sometimes you simply need to update the details for your payment method or credit card, for example the expiration date of the credit card, or free iCloud storage.

Or are you using a third party firewall, tat might be blocking the access to apple's cloud servers?

Mac Photo says downloading but never does

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.