Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photos does not sync with iCloud

My Mac does not sync with my photos on iCloud.

The pictures that I take with my phone and my iPad are uploaded on iCloud (I can see them on the iCloud.com site). The synchronization happens seamlessly between the iPad and the iPhone.

The issue seems related to the Mac.

All boxes are ticked and I am logged on with the same Apple Id profile on the Mac as on the phone and Ipad.

On the Mac, Photos states "uploading 5658 items" when I scroll down to the bottom of the Library. It offers to "pause" the uploading process. I tried to pause and resume with no effect.

It seems "stuck" in the uploading process and it doesn't download anything.

Help would be appreciated !

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 1:49 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jan 7, 2022 2:26 AM in response to Monsieur___

Hi Tony,

I am coming out of a long process but now everything is working !

Your help has been instrumental in helping me.

Ultimately, the issue has been resolved by removing the largest videos that I had on my Mac from the Library. I had some old format videos that were larger than 750 MO. I removed a lot of the largest Videos and also converted RAW pictures in JPEG.

In order to do that, I ended up using PowerPhoto. It also helped me find a significant amount of duplicated videos.

My library is smaller but now is sync'ing finally.

Anyway, I meant to say thank you !

Jan 4, 2022 4:09 AM in response to Monsieur___

Hi

How long have you left it? Syncing a full library is very slow - for reference, my 5000 item 50GB library took a full 48 hours, and photos has to be open all the time for that to take place. Also the mac needs to be "awake"

Leave your mac on 24/7, connected to power, and with sleep disabled.

And how big is your library.

Where is your library stored? In your pictures folder? Or somewhere else. If on an external drive, what is the format?

Jan 4, 2022 4:18 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony,

My Library is in "My Pictures" on the hard drive of my Mac Mini. Thanks in advance for the help !

My Library 134 GB large.

The formats of pictures and movies are HEIC, PNG, JPEG, MPEG, RAW, ....

Since earlier today, I went on iCloud.com and downloaded a photos. It came as a zip file that I imported in Photos on the Mac.

The number of photos that Photos wanted to upload has increased at first and then reduced to 5824 photos. It's stuck again... And I am afraid to create duplicates. But I'll deal with that later.

I am wondering if there is a large file (a movie) on which the upload is getting stuck...

Jan 4, 2022 6:27 AM in response to Monsieur___

If you donwload manually and import, you won't solve the problem, you'll just create duplicates. I'd not reccomend this way.

It is normal for the status indication to not move for long periods of time.

It might be a case of just waiting, or it might be stuck if (for example) there are items in your library that are not compatible with iCloud. Do you have an "unable to upload" folder in the left hand sidebar? Or if you create a smart album with the condition "photo> is unable to upload to iCloud" does it show anything?

Mac Photos does not sync with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.