Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule is blocking access to ip address

I use a Time Capsule. The router firmware is lacking in many respects, but it is what it is. It is in DHCP + NAT mode.

The problem - attempting to connect to a specific IP address to access my CPanel of my website.

Here are the facts:

When I attempt to connect to the IP address I get a "cannot connect to 199.204...." message.

When I take the Time Capsule out and go directly to the computer from my ISP modem it works immediately without hesitation.

I have tested this on 2 MBPs, iPad, and my Alienware Windows 10 machine.

When I connected one of the MPBs to my AT&T hotspot, it works as well.

How in the world is the Time Capsule blocking access?

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 8:17 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 20, 2018 10:43 AM in response to certman

In addition to the questions from Tesserax, it would be helpful to know what type of modem that you might be using.

The DHCP and NAT router mode choice would normally be the correct setting to use if you have a simple modem.....like the example below.....that will almost always have only one Ethernet port.

User uploaded file

But......if the device that you call your "modem" is really a modem/router or gateway.....like the example below with multiple Ethernet ports......the DHCP and NAT setting would not be the correct router mode for the Time Capsule.....which should be using the "Off (Bridge Mode)" setting for router mode.

User uploaded file

Nov 20, 2018 8:57 AM in response to certman

Let me start with a few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Which exact model is your Time Capsule (TC)?
  2. Which version of firmware is it running?
  3. What is the make & model of the Internet modem or gateway that you have the TC directly connected to by Ethernet?
  4. Does your ISP provide you with a static public WAN-side IP address?

FYI ... with the TC configured for "DHCP and NAT" Router Mode, it uses a simple NAT "firewall." That is, all unsolicited network traffic inbound from the Internet will be blocked. As you know, the AirPort base stations do not employ any type of SPI or IPS/IDS features as it is a simple consumer-grade router.

Nov 20, 2018 10:26 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you.

Answers to your questions:

1. Which exact model is your Time Capsule (TC)? - 5th Generation 3TB
  2. Which version of firmware is it running? 7.7.9
  3. What is the make & model of the Internet modem or gateway that you have the TC directly connected to by Ethernet? - - - Motorola Surfboard SB6141. Why would it matter? It works without the TC in the config.
  4. Does your ISP provide you with a static public WAN-side IP address? No.

If this info helps you provide me with a solution, I will be curious as to how.

Nov 20, 2018 11:55 AM in response to certman

Tracert -

On my hotspot (which works) 19 hops and I see the server name.

On my TC - takes 18 hops and starts with the *** replies.

Ah, and this may be telling us something. The first hop should be to from your Mac to your TC and appear as a local IP address (starting with 10, 172, or 192), and then, onto your ISP's router which would be the first public IP address, eventually making its way to your remote web server.

The "***" indicate an issue with that hop. If they are happening at the beginning, would be a good indication of an issue with your local network ... as you are already aware of. Again, I suspect that this is the Apple/Motorola issue I have mentioned. Try doing the traceroute again with just your Mac connected to the modem. Does the "***" hops disappear now?

The following may be helpful in understanding these traceroutes:

Nov 20, 2018 10:36 AM in response to certman

Thanks for the info.

What is the make & model of the Internet modem or gateway that you have the TC directly connected to by Ethernet? - - - Motorola Surfboard SB6141. Why would it matter? It works without the TC in the config.

Potentially, yes. The Motorola SB61NN-series have been known to be somewhat problematic with the Apple base stations. Neither are necessarily bad in themselves, but they just don't "play nice" with each other. Typical symptoms are inconsistent Internet connectivity and loss of Internet connectivity all together ... so this may be a factor here.

I am assuming that you are running a web server on your home/local network that you need to access from a remote location for administration purposes ... correct ... or is it the other way around that you are trying to access your website at a remote host from your local network? If it is the latter, then no port on the Extreme would be blocked so accessing this web server should not be prevented by the TC ... unless the TC is faulty or the TC/Motorola modem combo is causing connectivity issues. However, I wouldn't suspect that for just a single remote IP address.

What happens if you run a traceroute to the web server?

Nov 20, 2018 11:13 AM in response to Tesserax

I suppose I should have noted that I have been professionally employed in the IT industry for more than 35 years almost all in technical support areas, though I am not a TCP/IP expert.

This has me stumped due to the respective scenarios I mentioned.

Works without the TC being the main one. Eliminates ISP, browser or computer based firewalls.

I am attempting to access my web server remotely. It is a hosted solution.

Now I am leaning to believe that your TC/Motorola modem combo is causing connectivity issues may be the issue.

I am and have been extremely disappointed that Apple did not make the firmware for the TC much more feature rich, but mostly I hoped that DDWRT contributors would develop a replacement FW.

Still though, I am not sure if the combo of the modem and TC is the problem what would resolve it short of replacing the TC with a router.

Tracert -

On my hotspot (which works) 19 hops and I see the server name.

On my TC - takes 18 hops and starts with the *** replies.

Nov 26, 2018 8:32 AM in response to certman

To all that replied... thank you.

Solution: It started working... I have no explanation. I was ready to put TC in bridge mode and install a router. I had opened some ports, but I know that was not the solution as it was working on all devices, not just the one related to the port opened.

Frustrating not knowing what was causing the issue. I have to chalk it up to the mentioned issue between TC and Motorola Surfboard modem.

Time Capsule is blocking access to ip address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.