Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule and xfinity

Hello,

I just got xfinity and am using my xfinity as my modem and as my router. Previously I used my time capsule as my router but am using the time capsule only as a back up-its plugged into the the xfinity router via an ethernet cable. Everything is working fine- back ups are happening etc. Here is my question: My time capsule appears to also be acting as a router (its not in bridge mode) I know this because the previous network name when the time capsule was the router is still up and running. My question is- is there a problem with this? I'm not getting a double nat message...

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 6:31 PM

The Time Capsule is currently set up in Bridge Mode. It is not acting as a router. The "DHCP" that you see under Internet has no bearing on whether the Time Capsule is set up as a router or it is set up in Bridge Mode.

Chances are, the Time Capsule has been set up in Bridge Mode all along, and you were not really aware of this.

Apple does not make it easy, but "Off (Bridge Mode)" is exactly the same thing as Bridge Mode.

Is this clear to you now?

If the Time Capsule were set up as a router........the Network Mode setting would look like this:

You would also see a Double NAT message if the Time Capsule were set up as a router.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2020 6:31 PM in response to kjam1

The Time Capsule is currently set up in Bridge Mode. It is not acting as a router. The "DHCP" that you see under Internet has no bearing on whether the Time Capsule is set up as a router or it is set up in Bridge Mode.

Chances are, the Time Capsule has been set up in Bridge Mode all along, and you were not really aware of this.

Apple does not make it easy, but "Off (Bridge Mode)" is exactly the same thing as Bridge Mode.

Is this clear to you now?

If the Time Capsule were set up as a router........the Network Mode setting would look like this:

You would also see a Double NAT message if the Time Capsule were set up as a router.

Jan 18, 2020 5:32 PM in response to kjam1

Switch your Time Capsule Wi-Fi network off, and wire it to your Ethernet network.

The Time Capsule will operate as a NAS.

If nobody connects to the old Wi-Fi name, there are no clients to receive the double-NAT that’s latent here.

Another option is to switch the Time Capsule and the XFinity box to access points, but that’s more work, and usually more to configure as you’ll get familiar with DHCP and other details.

Jan 18, 2020 5:51 PM in response to kjam1

My time capsule appears to also be acting as a router (its not in bridge mode) I know this because the previous network name when the time capsule was the router is still up and running. My question is- is there a problem with this

The fact that the Time Capsule might still be producing a Wi-Fi signal does not necessarily mean that it is acting as a router, although it is possible that it might be.

A lot of users do not understand that the Time Capsule can still produce a Wi-Fi network signal when it is in Bridge Mode.

Have you checked the Network settings in AirPort Utility to verify whether the Time Capsule is set up as a DHCP and NAT router.....or.....whether it is set up in Bridge Mode, which Apple calls "Off (Bridge Mode)".

Do you want to back up using the Xfinity Wi-Fi network.....or.....the Time Capsule Wi-Fi network? If you want to back up using the Xfinity network, then you should turn off the Wi-Fi function on the Time Capsule so that it will act only as a wired hard drive attached to your Xfinity router.

You would also need to have the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode for this type of setup.

I'm not getting a double nat message...

Normally, you would see a Double NAT message if the Time Capsule is set up as a DHCP and NAT router with another router also on the network......unless......you previously chose to "ignore" the Double NAT as an option.

Offhand, I can't think of any good reason to have a Double NAT setup on a network if it can be avoided.....unless you are trying for some kind of special setup to isolate one network from the other.

Jan 18, 2020 6:01 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you. I had it on DHCP and bridge mode is off. I just turned off the network function which then doesn't list the Time capsule as a router. I have an apple express which since my time capsule is not on a network is not connected. I guess my main question is does it matter to have the xfinity router working and the time capsule router working, at the same time, connecting to my printer and my express? If it doesn't matter then I'll continue doing that way but if there is some problem with doing it like that then i'll run everything through xfinity.

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2020 6:18 PM in response to kjam1

I had it on DHCP and bridge mode is off.

Sounds like we need to double check some settings, because is is easy to be confused.

Open AirPort Utility

Select the Network tab

Is the setting for Network Mode........DHCP and NAT......or is it "Off (Bridge Mode)".

If it is DHCP and NAT......the Time Capsule is set up as a router.

If it is Off (Bridge Mode).....the Time Capsule is not set up as a router......it is set up in Bridge Mode and the DHCP and NAT normal router settings are "Off".

Another way to say the same thing......the routing functions of the Time Capsule are turned "Off"......so the Time Capsule is in Bridge Mode.

Apple would make it lot easier if they would simply use the term Bridge Mode......not Off (Bridge Mode)......because Off (Bridge Mode) is exactly the same thing as Bridge Mode.

It might be easier for you to simply ignore the "Off" and make believe that it is not there.

Once you are clear on exactly how the Time Capsule is currently set up, we'll tackle the other questions.

time capsule and xfinity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.