Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

added CenturyLink modem/router and can't get the apple airport time capsule into bridge mode (double NAT error)

Hi,

I recently switched from Xfinity to CenturyLink fiber. I am using a C4000modem/router instead of Netgear router. I attempted to put the CL modem into bridge mode and attach the Apple airport time capsule (and airport extreme as extender) with an ethernet connection. I couldn't get an internet connection and got a double NAT error. I reset the CL modem router to PPPOE (factory setting) and simply connected the airport by ethernet connection. This time it worked fine. But, I have few questions:

1. In this configuration, are the Apple airports (Time Capsule and Extreme) just acting as extenders ( and not as the wireless router)? Is this how it has to be? How would I fix it to work with Airport as router?
  2. Although it works in this configuration, my "guest network" does not. What changes do I need to see all of my devices on this network (HomePods, etc)?

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 9:11 AM

you are saying that any device on that network must be moved back to the main network and essentially abandon the guest network

Yes, because the Guest Network feature will not work or allow wireless devices to connect to the Internet when the AirPort is set up in Bridge Mode, which it needs to be to work correctly with the CenturyLink modem/router.

To turn off the Guest Network function on the AirPort.......

Open AirPort Utility and click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Uncheck the box next to Guest Network

Click the Update button at the lower right of the screen and the AirPort will restart

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2023 9:11 AM in response to BenDenver

you are saying that any device on that network must be moved back to the main network and essentially abandon the guest network

Yes, because the Guest Network feature will not work or allow wireless devices to connect to the Internet when the AirPort is set up in Bridge Mode, which it needs to be to work correctly with the CenturyLink modem/router.

To turn off the Guest Network function on the AirPort.......

Open AirPort Utility and click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Uncheck the box next to Guest Network

Click the Update button at the lower right of the screen and the AirPort will restart

Mar 7, 2023 5:29 PM in response to BenDenver

In this configuration, are the Apple airports (Time Capsule and Extreme) just acting as extenders ( and not as the wireless router)?

Yes. Technically, they are acting as Wireless Access Points....(for the purists).

Is this how it has to be?

Yes, unless the CenturyLink modem/router can be configured to operate only as a modem, and not as a router. Or, maybe you could replace the modem/router with a simple modem.....(the kind that has only one Ethernet port).

How would I fix it to work with Airport as router?

Configure the CenturyLink modem/router to act only as a modem, and not a router.....or.....replace the CenturyLink modem/router with a simple modem if that option is available.

Although it works in this configuration, my "guest network" does not.

Correct. Kind of a Catch 22. The AirPort needs to be set up as the main router for the Guest Network feature to work, but it can't be the main router when your CenturyLink modem/router is already performing those duties.

Since you will not be able to use the Guest Network, you will have to connect Wi-Fi devices to the CenturyLink Wi-Fi or the AirPort Wi-Fi.

Not sure what you mean when you say that you cannot get the AirPort into Bridge Mode. It's a simple setting change using AirPort Utility.

Mar 8, 2023 9:01 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob,

What I meant in my original post was not Apple Airport bridge mode but the Century Link (CL) modem bridge mode was not working correctly. I had worked with CL representative to put their system into bridge mode and use the Airport as a router but this did not work. It is fine if I use their modem/ router and Airports just as access points.

To clarify about the guest network, you are saying that any device on that network must be moved back to the main network and essentially abandon the guest network? Where exactly do I do this editing? is there a place to just turn it off? Thanks again.

added CenturyLink modem/router and can't get the apple airport time capsule into bridge mode (double NAT error)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.