Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing PDF files to iPad.

Hello,

I just cannot get this to work. I have a few old textbooks I scanned to PDF files. I would like to use them on my new iPad Pro with notability for notetaking. But I just can't seem to figure out how to get the PDF files over to the iPad.

I've dragged and dropped them on my MacBook Pro to iTunes and that didn't do anything. I've emailed them to myself via google drive and when I tried to save file to iPad locally there was no actual local folder I could save them in, just subfolders for apps like Keynotes, Pages, Notability, or it gave me option to save to iCloud.

How can I get these PDF files over so I can open them in iBooks (or whatever PDF reader I need to download from App Store)?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 7:09 AM

The iPad doesn’t have file structure like a computer. You have to save files into an app that can read or edit that particular file type. Don’t you want to save the pdf files to Notablity? Simply choose the option to save to Notability if that is where you want to save them.

When you email a pdf to yourself, you can just tap and hold down on the pdf in the email and choose Copy to iBooks.

You can also use File Sharing in iTunes with many pdf apps in order to move the files from the Mac to an app on the iPad that works with PDFs.

Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2018 7:09 AM in response to GameFederer

The iPad doesn’t have file structure like a computer. You have to save files into an app that can read or edit that particular file type. Don’t you want to save the pdf files to Notablity? Simply choose the option to save to Notability if that is where you want to save them.

When you email a pdf to yourself, you can just tap and hold down on the pdf in the email and choose Copy to iBooks.

You can also use File Sharing in iTunes with many pdf apps in order to move the files from the Mac to an app on the iPad that works with PDFs.

Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Syncing PDF files to iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.