Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New OS 14.1, disk first aid freezes drive

Just installed Mojave OS 10.14.1, everything seems ok so far, except for Disk Utility. When I try to run Disk First Aid, everything freezes, requiring power button forced restart. Cannot even Force Quit Disk Utility since entire computer is unresponsive.

Anyone else experience this?

Suggestions?

So far, only installed Mojave on MBP 15" 2017

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 2:58 PM

On some machines, (e.g. my 2014 MacBook Air), a Disk First Aid on the internal Mojave 10.14.1 APFS drive (128 GB) does not appear to have any progress for nearly 20 minutes — until just before it normally finishes. If you are an impatient individual, this may feel like a hung machine.

4 replies

Nov 21, 2018 1:37 PM in response to JCampbel

You have something that is corrupted. Even possibly you have a failing SSD. My suggestion is as follows:

1. Backup all your files.
  2. Erase the SSD.
  3. Reinstall macOS.
  4. Restore your files.
  5. Reinstall 3rd party software from the original media.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (usually, the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note:

1. To install the version of OS X that was currently installed use Command-Option-R.

2. To install the original factory version when the computer was new use Command-Option-Shift-R.

Nov 22, 2018 6:38 AM in response to VikingOSX

In fact, this worked. I started Disk First Aid, and just waited. Nothing happened for a couple of minutes, then Disk Utility worked as normal. But for those first 2 or 3 minutes, the computer appeared frozen. Nothing worked but the cursor. So, don't do anything else once you start Disk First Aid, don't click on anything, do nothing. Just wait. It didn't take more than 5 minutes for the utility to apparently freeze, then start working and complete.

New OS 14.1, disk first aid freezes drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.