Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suspicious application called "BeAware."

Does anyone know what this application is? I recently noticed this application appear on my computer. My other macs do not have it. The application is called "BeAware" and it has a logo of a bee on it. Is it from Apple? Or iUser uploaded file

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Time Machine backups

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 3:16 PM

No, not Apple:

http://www.ascentive.com/products/beaware/

It may have been bundled along with another third party application or malware.

Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

If Malwarebytes doesn't remove then run Etrecheck It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. It will show you a snapshot of your drive which will show where it is installed and you can remove it. Post the log file here, if you need help. It will contain no personal information.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2018 3:16 PM in response to jenniferfromthe woodlands

No, not Apple:

http://www.ascentive.com/products/beaware/

It may have been bundled along with another third party application or malware.

Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

If Malwarebytes doesn't remove then run Etrecheck It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. It will show you a snapshot of your drive which will show where it is installed and you can remove it. Post the log file here, if you need help. It will contain no personal information.

Dec 13, 2018 6:27 PM in response to jenniferfromthe woodlands

I noticed my Mac is also running really slow and crashing a lit...I have tried repairing permissions and running maintenance stuff, but it was still going on. I checked log in items and came across a log in item called "BeAware" too. I don't know where it came from, but it is hidden unlike my other log in items.

Did anyone figure it out?

Dec 16, 2018 4:37 PM in response to gilbert243

I also found it on both of my machines (iMac and MacBook Pro). I went into the activity monitor and shut it down. After shutting down its activity I was able to search for it in finder and was able to delete it from both machines. Mine was installed on December 9th, 2018. Not sure where it came from but its not listed on the App Store nor can I find anything on the internet with the same name and logo. The ascentive software listed in previous posts is only for Windows and does not appear to support Macs. Its likely a malware and I'm running diagnostics to see what damage, if any, it may have caused.

Dec 20, 2018 10:43 AM in response to jenniferfromthe woodlands

This program was somehow put on my Macbook air on 12/14/18. I saw it in launchpad and it looked suspicious. When I click on it my screen flashes but nothing opens and I can't drag it into the trash. What's concerning is that when I searched for it online it seems to be a surveillance software. (You can't find it anywhere with the 'bee' logo and you have to make sure you search for it as one word, not 'be aware'.) I am trying to drag it from Applications into my trash but getting a message saying something like "BeAware cannot be deleted because it's in use." Does this mean a surveillance program has been watching my computer activity since 12/14???

Help!

UPDATE:

I went to Activity Monitor (open up Finder, go to the Applications folder, then the Utilities folder, and the shortcut to open Activity Monitor is right there).

I quit the program.

I went back to search for it in Finder and was finally able to drag it to the trash.

I deleted the trash.

I no longer see it in Launchpad. Hopefully the above info helps the next person on this thread. And hopefully it's gone forever.

If you have any reason to believe I need to do more steps, pls post to let me know. Thx!

Dec 17, 2018 1:53 PM in response to jenniferfromthe woodlands

Just found this on my computer too after I got a pop up to "update" it, thought it was something else, and clicked "yes" it too fast before I realized it. Stopped it running from my activity monitor and then deleted it...so I don't know what it was but this thread is the only thing on the internet that I was able to find on it, so that made it seem sketchy.

Jan 10, 2019 8:13 PM in response to rahilr

I actually resulted in buying Mac Remover for approximately $30 to uninstall 136 files (per the Mac Remover software) associated with this app just to be super safe. Initially, I tried to delete it by placing it in the trash, but it was no where to be found in the Finder. Its suspicious to me because I have a suspecting partner.

Jan 15, 2019 7:26 AM in response to jenniferfromthe woodlands

Who do you think has put this BeAware out there?  Who benefits? In order to remove BeAware just download AppCleaner for free.  I did.  I searched the web and found it. AppCleaner works well and got rid of BeAware.  Funny that a malware developer would call their software with such a name to put you edge.  Would seem that they would conceal with an inconspicuous name instead of "BeAware" which would put you on edge running to the Apple Community and find something to pay for.  Very suspicious.

Jan 21, 2019 3:24 PM in response to eivanas

To find virus software, hold down the Command key, which is just to the left of the space bar and and hit the "F" key. Put in the word beware and it should find it for you. I am using OS X 10.13 and using AppCleaner. I had to find it myself using the keystrokes above. Be sure to click on the desktop in order so that the search is done on all the file on your computer. At least that is how I did it. Blessings. Eric

Jan 30, 2019 4:24 PM in response to naomi_z_95

Naomi,

I had the same thing. But my Mac is newer. The only thing to do is try and get an older version of AppCleaner and it will find where it is when you put in the name "BeAware" and remove it for you. Hope it works. These people are either just act mean or they are profiting from it some way, which still makes them as acting mean.

Feb 5, 2019 8:28 PM in response to jenniferfromthe woodlands

If the "Beaware" app won't delete because its still running in the background and you don't want to have input payment info, I suggest this link: https://www.imore.com/cant-delete-app-your-mac-because-its-still-open-heres-fix

It gives instructions on how to close an app running in the background but not showing as already open. After I followed the instructions on closing the app I was able to delete it!

Suspicious application called "BeAware."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.