Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB 2.0 support on Airport time capsule

My Windows 10 does not authorise anymore smb 1.0. When I try to connect my TC I have an error saying the TC "requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack".

I have upgraded to 7.7.9 firmware but still have the same error. Is there a way for the TC to support SMB 2+ or 3.1?

Server Message Block - Wikipedia

Windows 10, null

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 9:01 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 22, 2018 9:08 AM in response to Lolorolander

I have upgraded to 7.7.9 firmware but still have the same error. Is there a way for the TC to support SMB 2+ or 3.1?

Sorry, but no.

I am not recommending this.....since it will introduce a significant security risk......but It is possible to set up your PC to use SMB1

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-access-files-network-devices-using-smbv1-wind ows-10

Nov 22, 2018 10:08 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob

Thanks for the quick response. I know SMB 1.0 can be re-enabled but this is not considered as a secure protocol. It is like asking me to enable ssl 3.0. How can it be addressed as it is a security risk for the TC and the data stored on it. SMB 1.0 is a weak protocol and has been patched in later version with SMB 2+ or 3. I am expecting Apple to keep me secure with the security patches 🙂. Don't you consider SMB 1.0 as a vulnerability?

Windows 10 tip: Stop using the horribly insecure SMBv1 protocol | ZDNet

Nov 22, 2018 10:17 AM in response to Lolorolander

I am expecting Apple to keep me secure with the security patches 🙂. Don't you consider SMB 1.0 as a vulnerability?

Bob has already mentioned that he did not recommend enabling SMB 1.0 on your Win10 PC, only that it can be done per the article he provided.

As far as Apple keeping you secure, they as you should know already, are getting out of the networking hardware business ... so since the TC has never supported anything beyond SMB 1.x, I doubt seriously that they will provide a firmware upgrade to do so anytime soon, or ever. Using SMB 1.x on your local network should not be a security issue if your local network is already secure.

Nov 22, 2018 10:49 AM in response to Lolorolander

Don't you consider SMB 1.0 as a vulnerability?

Please take a look at my response above again to clarify that I said that I did not recommend using SMB1, since it presents a significant security risk.

Having said that, I provided a possible workaround if you are willing to accept the security risks.

Even if you have the most recent "tower" shaped version of the Time Capsule, you might not be aware that it was designed and developed in the 2011-2012 timeframe and introduced in 2013. Apple has made no hardware changes or hardware improvements on the Time Capsule since it was introduced over 5 years ago.

Since Apple officially discontinued the Time Capsule earlier this year, I would be extremely surprised if they offered any additional updates for the product, so I would not look for any SMB2 or SMB3.1 support from Apple on this product.

If you need a network storage solution with up to date features, you might want to take a look at the NAS products from Synology.

SMB 2.0 support on Airport time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.