Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

your disk is almost full message

Your desk is almost full message - I have cleaned files, use iCloud back up, stored photos on external drive - issue is that my system is shown as using all the space - what can I do?

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 3:28 PM

Some potential options...

"System" storage on macOS Sierra is 470GB! - Ask Different

https://www.imore.com/how-reclaim-disk-space-system-macos-high-sierra

System Storage Taking Up Way Too Much Space in macOS Sierra

One or more of which might help get to the bottom of this particular usage.

2 replies

Nov 22, 2018 3:30 PM in response to potter13

Where you looking? apple icon > about this mac... > storage has been reported by many to be inaccurate.

I believe that get info is correct.

(0)

Be careful when deleting files. A lot of people have trashed their system when deleting things.

Place things in trash. Reboot & run your applications. Empty trash.

Go after large files that you have created & know what they are. Do not delete small files that are in a folder you do not know what the folder is for. Anything that is less than a megabyte is a small file these days.

(1)

Empty the trash. Space isn't reclaimed until you empty the trash in three places!

The trash can...

-- in the dock

-- for iPhoto

-- with Mail

(2)

Run

OmniDiskSweeper

"The simple, fast way to save disk space"

OmniDiskSweeper is now free!

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/download/

This will give you a list of files and folders sorted by size. Go after things you know that are big.

To see all files, you need to logon to each user on your system and run OmniDiskSweeper

your disk is almost full message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.