Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 iPad Pro battery drain problem

Just got my first iPad Pro and I'm having problems with the iPad completely draining while it's in standby. This time it hasn't been used in four days, and it was so drained I had to plug it into the charger for it to come on. This happened once before, and I thought maybe the wifi was draining it, so I put it in Airplane mode before putting it away. I stored it with the pencil attached, so maybe it's draining the iPad? I have a regular iPad Air and the battery will barely drain if it's left for days even with the wifi/bluetooth on.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

iPad Pro 12.9 Inch, 3rd Gen Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 6:21 PM

27 replies

Nov 26, 2018 2:34 PM in response to agin

I just saw that I wrote I turn off Wifi..I mean I turn BlueTooth off, I leave Wifi on all the time. I have only bluetooth when using Apple Pencil.

With pencil not attached and blue tooth on, I think the pencil is still getting signal from bluetooth.

See here: you might not want to keep bluetooth and pencil near each other - if not using pencil, turn blue tooth off.

Re: Apple Pencil battery drain even if not used

I'm glad things are working better for you now.

Feb 18, 2019 6:51 AM in response to pchamp2k1

pchamp2k1-

are you running latest iOS ?

If is connected to wifi, make sure "ask to join networks" is off.

check

settings- display+brightness and make sure that is set to something other then "never"

also making sure that your case closes tightly and iPad is actually going to sleep.

iPads do lose some battery when not using. My iPad Pro 3 gen. varies between 1% to about 8% without being use.

Home and Lock screen can use battery when in standby if is pushing notifications for example.

here is an article about maximize battery life. Some people prefer to put to airplane mode.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Feb 7, 2019 2:28 PM in response to agin

Hi everyone,

I too have a new iPad Pro. I get 10% battery drain overnight EVERY night. I have read just about every general battery drain article online to no avail. The only thing I haven’t tried is the Bluetooth thing. I will give that a go and see what happens.

The only thing that makes me wonder is this battery drain happens every night around the same time slot. Eg, 3am, or 6am. I can see a big dip on the battery graph, but no apps are listed.

I have disabled all background refresh and turned off iCloud sync for almost everything. Have a look at the attached picture - this is really frustrating because 4 nights and that’s half your battery gone from doing nothing.

I have some other older iPads running the same OS (Latest) and they dont drop any battery in standby.. so definitely something with the new hardware and firmware.

Dec 10, 2018 8:47 AM in response to Cåts

I have the exact same issue with my 11” iPad Pro. Is the only solution to stop the battery drain to turn off Bluetooth?

It just seems a bit strange to build at “dock” for the Pencil ✏️ and then you have to turn off Bluetooth to not have your iPad drain. My regular 9,7” 2017 iPad can go for days with very little battery drain.

This is is the first time I have experienced this with any iPad. 😞

Hope Apple has a better solution than turning off all sorts of stuff. 🙈

Dec 29, 2018 4:01 PM in response to agin

I am having a similar issue. I put my iPad away fully charged yesterday and opened it up today and had 73% battery remaining. I’ve been using it about 15 min now only doing some light web browsing and the battery has dropped from 73% down to 58%. My 2015 iPad Pro could easily go a day or 2 without needing to be charged. My 2018 iPad Pro has to be charged sometimes in the middle of the day. This does not seem to be normal.

Jan 21, 2019 9:57 PM in response to agin

I’ve noticed the same problem. I have the previous 12.9 inch iPad Pro which is now more than a year old and it’s battery lasts longer than this new one. My usage hasn’t changed at all. I’ve tried a soft reset but it doesn’t seem to have helped. The battery drain while in standby is most surprising. Detaching the pencil seems to have maybe helped but I can’t be sure.

Feb 2, 2019 4:12 PM in response to agin

I have the same problem with my iPad Pro 2018 11inch LTE 256Gb. Battery drain very notable. My old iPad Air 2 too barely has battery drain. The case use: Airplane mode, no wifi, no bluetooth and no pencil connected. Old Air2 no drain at all. iPad Pro 2018 battery drain -3-4% per 24 hours of Standby!!! Terrible. After a week of Standby I had to charge my boy! Hate this. I never charged my old Air2 even after 3 week of stand by who barely dropped 1-2% a month. P.S. From the very beggining I started to use my iPad Pro 2018 like a new and did not restore a copy of the old Air2 to prevent all possible bad issues to come to the new device.

Feb 11, 2019 6:35 PM in response to agin

OK all, thought i would report back since trying the disable Bluetooth option.

Well it has fixed the problem completely. I dont need to leave the pencil detached from the iPad, just disable Bluetooth completely.

This is VERY frustrating, because you dont always remember to do this every time you finish using the pencil, in fact it actuallly makes me use the pencil less.

My battery drain seemed to be at a certain regular interval, so this seems like something apple could fix via a software update. So please Apple! Get your **** together.

Feb 17, 2019 11:37 AM in response to Fastcharge

That's interesting because I keep my bluetooth off all the time, and I still experience a drop of about 7-10% battery drain every 12 hours with absolutely NO use at all. (I check the battery levels by tapping the screen around every 10-12 hours)

I don't understand how this thing drains so much when I turned off literally every background running apps and location services, and it's just sitting there on my desk (The ONLY thing that this iPad is doing is staying connected to Wifi).

I've tried hard resetting, factory restore, and setting up as new iPad.

Anyone else in the same boat? Should I be exchanging this for a new device?

Feb 24, 2019 12:26 PM in response to Brunnen-GG

I have had the new iPad Pro since it came out I do not have the pencil. Main drains may be 5% to 10% a day I went on a road trip I put my iPad Pro in my suitcase on standby when I took it out it was burning hot and it went through 95% of the battery. There is definitely a flaw in the new iPad Pro I have the old iPad Pro sitting right next to me in an iPad Air sitting across from me and those have no drainage problems there is a process running on the new iPad And I’m very disappointed in all of apples latest products

Feb 24, 2019 9:52 PM in response to Cåts

Sorry for the late reply, but yes.

Latest iOS, wifi off,

display+brightness at 40% (doesn't really matter causes the device is not in use anyways) and auto-lock at 1 minute,

have the official Apple Folio Case and is def. locked,

ALL push notifications off,

ALL background app refresh off,

Bluetooth off, Cellular off.

There is something wrong with these new iPads Pros.

Feb 25, 2019 7:47 AM in response to pchamp2k1

Take look into screen time. Settings, Screen Time. Click the screen time and it will show

a graph that shows 12 AM 6 AM 12 PM etc.

The colored bars show when apps where used. You might see a blue, light blue, orange for example.

(This colors refers to social networking, reading+reference, entertainment.) Press one of them that might show up when you actually weren't using iPad to reveal actual time frame. Pressing a bar will bring up a green window showing another time frame, then look at apps and websites to see what is using your iPad at that time, if anything.

Also, if you think is something seriously wrong with your iPad, I suggest you bring to the Genius Bar or contact Apple Support.

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=sm

They can walk you through steps via phone or if you bring it in. You're still under warranty.

Hopefully you are using the latest iOS.

curious: have you ever tried setting up iPad as NEW. (yes, new, as in full restore, set up as new- which would give you fresh copy of iOS in case the copy you have is the problem?)

2018 iPad Pro battery drain problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.