Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac App Store Doesn't Sign In

The Mac App Store shows me as not signed in. Clicking the 'Sign In' link triggers the usual dialog. When I attempt to login I get a brief spinning circle in the login window (as expected), the login window disappears (as expected), but the App Store still shows me as not signed in.

When I attempt to purchase a free app the App Store asks me to sign in, and when I input my information I receive the following error:

An error occurred during purchase.

The operation couldn’t be completed.

(com.apple.commerce.client error 500.)

I am able to successfully sign in to the iTunes Store on this Mac with the same AppleID. I'm also able to successfully sign in to the Mac App Store on a different Mac with the same Apple ID.

I have tried the following actions. All produced the same results.

- Signing in with a different AppleID.

- Signing out from iTunes.

- Signing back into iTunes.

- Rebooting.

- Deauthorizing the computer from appleid.apple.com.

I'm running Mac OS 10.14.1 (18B75) on a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014). I use differed AppleIDs for iCloud and the App Store. I recently (earlier this week) performed a clean install of Mojave, and was able to use the Mac App Store after that install.

How do I fix this?

MacBook Air, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 8:55 AM

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2018 8:55 AM in response to Mugosity

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Nov 23, 2018 8:34 PM in response to Mugosity

Try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Mac App Store Doesn't Sign In

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.