Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime won't save screen recordings - brand new iMac 4.2 GHz

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a new iMac 5K Retina with a 1TB solid state hard drive and received it a week ago. Since then I have been gradually finding time to start using it.

Today I used QuickTime for the first time. I recorded my first screen recording and attempted to save it. The attempt failed and has failed several times now. My 1TB SSD is still virtually empty with over 850 GB free.

I did a quick video of the process and uploaded it to YouTube. I used my iPhone since I couldn't capture it on QuickTime (which was in the process of trying to save the file). YouTube link:

Cannot save screen recordings in QuickTime - new iMac 4.2 GHz with 1TB solid state hard drive - YouTube

As you can see, after clicking Save in the File menu, the spinning beach ball runs for exactly 1 minute (from 0:13 to 1:13). When it stops, nothing has happened - no Save dialog has opened and the file is still called Untitled.

Then I clicked Save again (at 1:42 in the video). This time, the beach ball started spinning and nothing happened for over 2 minutes, when I decided to stop the video. 5 minutes later, QT was still in "Application Not Responding" status and I had to force quit it.

Also, every time I try to do something inside an application that requires accessing a file from the hard drive, it takes at least 30 seconds to complete. The beach ball spins for 30 seconds to 2 or 3 minutes while I wait for it to finish. This included my upload of the vid above to YT. Took over 45 seconds for the dialog to open to select the video file to upload.

I was hoping that a 4.2 GHz machine with a solid state drive and 40 GB of RAM would work faster. My 5-yr old MBP with 8 GB RAM never lagged for more than 3-4 seconds when trying to perform these kinds of tasks.

Would really appreciate any suggestions for troubleshooting. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 10:08 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Nov 23, 2018 10:16 PM in response to edwardjc

Just a quick add-on note: Finder is in "Application Not Responding" status and has been for over 20 minutes. That seems to have started when I tried to save the QT screen recording and has continued after force-quitting QT.

All of this happened shortly after turning the computer on after I had shut it down earlier in the day. The only application I had been running was Logic Pro X with a very simple music project (2 tracks).

Quicktime won't save screen recordings - brand new iMac 4.2 GHz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.