Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The option in photos to choose the still or "make key photo" for a photograph, doesn't show on my MacBook pro or my iphone neither on edit mode or normal.

Also when I click on "live" photos, I do not get the additional options, Help! 😟

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: worldshare

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1), null

Posted on Nov 25, 2018 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2018 4:35 AM

There is no indication at all in your screenshot, that the photo in question is a Live Photo. Only Live Photos have the controls you are looking for.

Has the photo in question been imported as a Live Photo or only as a still frame? Does it show in the Live Photo album? As a test, use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified original" for one of the Live Photos with the missing controls. This command should at least export two files - the high resolution still frame and the video component. Are both files there? Can your Mac play the video component?

Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it on an external drive or on your startup volume?

Are you using iCloud Photos to sync the Photos Libraries on your iPhone and the Mac ? Or My Photo Stream?

If you are using My Photo Stream, your Live Photos will be transferred as still frames and not Live.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2018 4:35 AM in response to worldshare

There is no indication at all in your screenshot, that the photo in question is a Live Photo. Only Live Photos have the controls you are looking for.

Has the photo in question been imported as a Live Photo or only as a still frame? Does it show in the Live Photo album? As a test, use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified original" for one of the Live Photos with the missing controls. This command should at least export two files - the high resolution still frame and the video component. Are both files there? Can your Mac play the video component?

Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it on an external drive or on your startup volume?

Are you using iCloud Photos to sync the Photos Libraries on your iPhone and the Mac ? Or My Photo Stream?

If you are using My Photo Stream, your Live Photos will be transferred as still frames and not Live.

The option in photos to choose the still or "make key photo" for a photograph, doesn't show on my MacBook pro or my iphone neither on edit mode or normal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.