Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get a new Recovery Key

I cannot login to App Store and other apps on my old iPad 1 because it indicates I need to enter my recovery key and I lost it if I ever had it. The instructions I found to create a new key do not work (no option under security). I need to know what the new instructions are.

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2018 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2018 9:26 PM

As per this article If you can't sign in with two-step verification using your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you lost your Recovery Key

As long as you remember your Apple ID password and still have access to one of your trusted devices, you can sign in and create a new Recovery Key.

1. Go to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.
  3. In the Security section, click Edit > Replace Lost Key.

Keep your new Recovery Key in a safe place. Your old Recovery Key won't work anymore and you can't use it to reset your password or access your account.

If you lost two or more of the required sign-in items

As noted above, two-step verification requires at least two of the items below to sign in successfully:

• Your Apple ID password
  • Access to one of your trusted devices
  • Your Recovery Key

If you've permanently lost any two of these items, you can't sign in or regain access to your account. You'll need to create a new Apple ID. You can create a new one from the Apple ID site.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2018 9:26 PM in response to WilInLancasterMA

As per this article If you can't sign in with two-step verification using your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you lost your Recovery Key

As long as you remember your Apple ID password and still have access to one of your trusted devices, you can sign in and create a new Recovery Key.

1. Go to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.
  3. In the Security section, click Edit > Replace Lost Key.

Keep your new Recovery Key in a safe place. Your old Recovery Key won't work anymore and you can't use it to reset your password or access your account.

If you lost two or more of the required sign-in items

As noted above, two-step verification requires at least two of the items below to sign in successfully:

• Your Apple ID password
  • Access to one of your trusted devices
  • Your Recovery Key

If you've permanently lost any two of these items, you can't sign in or regain access to your account. You'll need to create a new Apple ID. You can create a new one from the Apple ID site.

How do I get a new Recovery Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.