Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my photos blurry before zooming?

I have the iPhone 8, updated to last version, yet all my photos appear blurry in my photo library unless I zoom a tiny bit. I’ve been looking through similar threads but all the solutions are related to ‘turning off ‘optimize phone storage’ in iCloud’. I don’t have iCloud on for my photos, nor does that button appear anywhere in my settings.

How do I fix this problem? Whenever I try to upload my photos to Facebook or Instagram or most social media’s, the photos just show the initial blurry image, and I cannot post my clear photos.

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 5:02 AM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2018 1:08 PM in response to fridelina

Hello fridelina,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities!

I understand that your photos appear blurry unless you zoom in on them. The following steps should be helpful:

If your photos are blurred, out of focus, or have dark spots, try these steps:

1. Make sure that the camera lens is clean. If you need to clean the lens, use a microfiber cloth. If you see dirt or debris inside the lens, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.
  2. For iPhone models that feature optical image stabilization: A metallic case or magnetic lens could interfere with this feature. Try taking a picture without the case or lens, and then compare the quality.
  3. To focus on a certain object or person, tap that object or person on the preview screen. You’ll see the screen pulse, or briefly go in and out of focus, as the camera adjusts. In photo mode, try to stay steady when you adjust the focus. If you move too far in any direction, the camera will automatically refocus to the center. In video mode, you can adjust the focus before you begin recording.

If you still have issues with the focus on your camera, contact Apple Support.

If the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working

Best regards.

Nov 27, 2018 1:19 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hello Allen!

Thank you for your reply, however the problem is not with my camera or the lens being dusty, as the photos have impeccable quality once you zoom in a tiny bit on them. It’s not when I take the photos that they seem to be blurry, it’s afterwards in the photo album/camera roll.

Before on my previous iphones, and even earlier this year on this iphone, I have never had this problem and the photos have appeared in the highest quality immediately (which then lead to me being able to upload them with the highest quality to several social media’s). However now they do not appear at the highest quality at first, and it’s not until after I zoom a tiny tiny bit on any random photo, that the quality appears great. Since I can’t ‘zoom’ in the same way on Instagram before I upload my photos, they just appear blurry.

If you have any other suggestion as to why this is happening and how I can turn it off that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Fridelina

Why are my photos blurry before zooming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.