Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse 2 keeps disassociating from laptop

Hello, I have a new 13" Macbook Air (the model before 2018, maybe ~2015) connected to a Magic Mouse 2. Everyday when I come to work the laptop no longer recognizes the mouse and I need to 're-sync' by plugging in a Lightning cable between the mouse and laptop.

Once I do that, the mouse will work perfectly for an entire day... until the next morning when I need to repeat this entire process. Any idea what's going on? Thx!

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 7:04 AM

Once you move that Magic Mouse 2 far enough away from the MBA, and it unpairs — whether by shutting down the MBA, or by distance alone — you will have to undergo the pairing process the next day. This may be as simple as ensuring that the mouse is powered on before you get within range of the MBA, or simply power the mouse on just before you boot the MBA.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2018 7:04 AM in response to prohnc

Once you move that Magic Mouse 2 far enough away from the MBA, and it unpairs — whether by shutting down the MBA, or by distance alone — you will have to undergo the pairing process the next day. This may be as simple as ensuring that the mouse is powered on before you get within range of the MBA, or simply power the mouse on just before you boot the MBA.

Nov 26, 2018 7:13 AM in response to prohnc

I replaced three Magic Mouse I and their constant disconnection, and ravenous battery consumption for a Magic Mouse II. What I found in practice with my 2014 MacBook Air and the last three, major macOS releases is that the MM II will disconnect only occasionally, and the ritual that I mentioned about repairing are my own experiences too.

Nov 27, 2018 11:04 AM in response to prohnc

One other thing to check:

Was this Magic Mouse 2 previously associated with any other Mac, ever?

You need to disassociate it from these other Macs, for peace of mind...

If this Magic Mouse 2 has been associated with another Mac previously, and that other Mac may be in the nearby vicinity, it seems to want to keep associating with that other old Mac, in addition to your newly associated Mac, and spends too much time still looking for that other Mac. Go to that old Mac, and completely remove its association from that old Mac (System Preferences > Bluetooth > "x" [remove it from old Mac]).

Note: I have had users forget to do this, and it only reveals itself when the original user puts in an IT complaint ticket about their cursor mysteriously moving on its own (its the new user within control distance sending mouse movement signals to the old user)

Magic Mouse 2 keeps disassociating from laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.