Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a book iPhoto 6.0.6

Hi all,

It's taken me a lot of hours of work putting together a book in iPhoto 6.0.6.

When I click on Buy Book I get a hanging 'Connecting...' bar, which after twelve hours of hanging the other day I cancelled.

I notice that the option of a book is now greyed out upon File-New Album. Just the non-purchase options of album and smart album remain.

This project in iPhoto on my Mac Mini is the last job it'll do before I move onto my iMac, which runs Photos 3.0. I notice the books on offer in Photos 3.0 are nowhere near as elegant as the book I've created with iPhoto 6.0.6. And anyway, I'd have to put a fair bit more work into recreating the book in the first place, without any book export function...

I'd like to get the book I've painstakingly created printed, fulfilled and in my grubby paws.

Can anybody offer any advice, please?

Mac mini (Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 27, 2018 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2018 3:12 PM

There is no way to buy a book from Apple now, as they ceased offering print services as of September 30th last. Even at that, it would have been impossible to order from v6 (which is 12 years+ old now). Your best chance now: save the book as a pdf and send it to a 3rd party printing service. I'm afraid it's so long since I used v6 (would you believe about 11 years 😉), that I'm not sure how to save a pdf of a book, or even if it's possible. In later versions you right click on the book design window and choose 'Save Book as PDF'

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2018 3:12 PM in response to Matt Stalker

There is no way to buy a book from Apple now, as they ceased offering print services as of September 30th last. Even at that, it would have been impossible to order from v6 (which is 12 years+ old now). Your best chance now: save the book as a pdf and send it to a 3rd party printing service. I'm afraid it's so long since I used v6 (would you believe about 11 years 😉), that I'm not sure how to save a pdf of a book, or even if it's possible. In later versions you right click on the book design window and choose 'Save Book as PDF'

Nov 29, 2018 12:52 PM in response to Old Toad

That's a good tip; thanks.

I'd stumbled upon PrestoPhotos; their front-end looks pretty capable and versatile. Being outside the US makes it a bit cost-prohibitive, but I have found https://www.pixartprinting.co.uk/ which seems to offer a reasonable alternative.

I still have a fair bit of pdf setup to do, by the looks of things, but their customer & technical service seem to be proactive and inexpensive.

Dec 24, 2018 9:39 AM in response to Old Toad

We have to start with my bad position: creating a pdf from iPhoto 6 on my old Mac Mini with little more than an A4 page printer driver and Preview.

The setup requirements were a little complex and involved for me, but through perseverance and determination, and some committed customer service, we got there in the end.

The size/format isn't exactly what I'd have liked, but my originating file was limited in sizing options. The book has arrived (expedited in two days from the factory in Milan to my front door in the UK) in time for it to be the gift I'd wanted it to be.

Quality is better than I might have hoped; price is extremely inexpensive. The first order included an introductory 20/25% discount and with all the difficulties encountered in getting compliant files to Pixart, I think they charged me less than they could have. They even sent two copies of my book.

Thanks again for all the help. :-)

Buying a book iPhoto 6.0.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.