Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple.com/support -2103F

I]m trying to reset my macbook pro and it comes up with this message: apple.com/support -2103F

What should I do?

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 12:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2018 9:59 AM

In Internet Recovery, these low negative thousands error messages indicate that your provided Wi-Fi Network is inadequate in some fashion, and cannot be used (for this purpose) in its current state.

Common problems include:

Hidden Network-name

required use of a proxy server to get Internet access

required use of a login page to get Internet access

Use of a login server or certificate to get Internet access

Use of PPPoE in the Mac to get Internet access (typically only applies to DSL)

Use of Fixed IP address rather than good old DHCP

Variance of the time by more than five minutes

Failure of Router to provide workable DNS server addresses, or providing 0.0.0.0 [may produce -2002f]

If you have an Ethernet port, you may in some cases be able to move your Mac close to the Router and connect to the Router using Ethernet.

The higher the number, the more obscure the problem.

Also, make certain the Date&Time and Time Zone are correct within 5 minutes.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2018 9:59 AM in response to achissano23

In Internet Recovery, these low negative thousands error messages indicate that your provided Wi-Fi Network is inadequate in some fashion, and cannot be used (for this purpose) in its current state.

Common problems include:

Hidden Network-name

required use of a proxy server to get Internet access

required use of a login page to get Internet access

Use of a login server or certificate to get Internet access

Use of PPPoE in the Mac to get Internet access (typically only applies to DSL)

Use of Fixed IP address rather than good old DHCP

Variance of the time by more than five minutes

Failure of Router to provide workable DNS server addresses, or providing 0.0.0.0 [may produce -2002f]

If you have an Ethernet port, you may in some cases be able to move your Mac close to the Router and connect to the Router using Ethernet.

The higher the number, the more obscure the problem.

Also, make certain the Date&Time and Time Zone are correct within 5 minutes.

Nov 29, 2018 9:34 AM in response to achissano23

Hi achissano23,

I understand you're trying to reset your MacBook Pro. I understand the importance of managing your data, and I want to help you get this reset.

If you're trying to reset your Mac before giving it away, there are some great steps here:
What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Included among those steps are what you'll need to erase your Mac:
How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

I hope that's able to help.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Nov 29, 2018 9:53 AM in response to achissano23

Hi achissano23,

I'd recommend contacting Apple Support about this issue. To do so, click the Contact Support link at the top right corner of this page.

If you're running into this issue when trying to boot Recovery Mode over the Internet, please verify that:

• Your Mac is connected to the Internet via Ethernet or some other cable interface, or a strong Wi-Fi network is nearby.
  • The network you're connected to does NOT have a captive page (where you have to confirm additional details before you can access the Internet).
  • The network does not block Apple's servers or certain ports required to download and boot Recovery Mode.

Does the issue persist when you're connected to a different network?

apple.com/support -2103F

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.