Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After editing a photo (making lighter or darker) I exported them to my desktop in order to burn a disk of pictures. I noticed that the original file size was reduced. When I exported the unmodified version the file size stayed the same but lost the

After editing a photo (making lighter or darker) I exported them to my desktop in order to burn a disk of pictures. I noticed that the original file size was reduced. When I exported the unmodified version the file size stayed the same but lost the edit. Do you lose photo quality? Is there a way to edit and not lose the size of the photo.

iMac, iOS 7.1

Posted on Nov 29, 2018 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 12:18 PM

You can lose some detail by using a lossy format, it depends on the constraints you are dealing with.

Regardless of the format, editing, and whatever you have seen on CSI, as an image is blown up past the original resolution it is going to get progressively worse because there isn't enough information to interpolate. Ideally the image should be as large as you can get away with and then scaled down when it is displayed.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2018 12:18 PM in response to PeacockGreg

You can lose some detail by using a lossy format, it depends on the constraints you are dealing with.

Regardless of the format, editing, and whatever you have seen on CSI, as an image is blown up past the original resolution it is going to get progressively worse because there isn't enough information to interpolate. Ideally the image should be as large as you can get away with and then scaled down when it is displayed.

After editing a photo (making lighter or darker) I exported them to my desktop in order to burn a disk of pictures. I noticed that the original file size was reduced. When I exported the unmodified version the file size stayed the same but lost the

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.