Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is sharing iCloud analytics, diagnostics, and usage anonymous? As an example, could any government send a court order or warrant to require Apple to provide the information you collect when we share iCloud analytics and usage information with Apple?

I am a long time Apple, Windows and Linux developer. I also design and develop mobile apps and web pages.

As a developer, I am focused on security, privacy and a particular interest in keeping our data private. As a developer, I tend to share my app analytics to other developers because I know how valuable it can be to fixing bugs and improving apps. However, we do not see all the data collected, much of the customer information obfuscated. I would like to know if Apple keeps this data, and if so, why?

Also, I would like to know if all analytical data on all device systems, not just iCloud or iOS data provided to app developers, is also private under all circumstances?

Edward Grubb III
Cross-Platform Developer

https://www.grubbx.com/

iMac, iOS 12.1, I run the latest beta software

Posted on Nov 29, 2018 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2018 3:15 PM

If you look at the Analytics section it notes :

iPad Analytics may include details about hardware and operating system specifications, performance statistics, and data about how you use your devices and applications. None of the collected information identifies you personally. Personal data is either not logged at all, is subject to privacy preserving techniques such as differential privacy, or is removed from any reports before they’re sent to Apple. You can review this information by going to Settings on your iOS device, tapping Privacy, tapping Analytics and looking under Analytics Data.

If you have consented to provide Apple with this information, and you have Location Services turned on, the location of your devices may also be sent to help Apple analyze performance issues (for example, the strength or weakness of a mobile or Wi-Fi signal in a particular location). This analytics location data may include locations such as the location of your devices once per day, the location where a call ends or the location of a failed in-store transaction. You may choose to turn off Location Services for Analytics at any time. To do so, open Settings, tap Privacy, tap Location Services, tap System Services and turn off the iPad Analytics switch.

You may also choose to turn off Device Analytics altogether. To do so, open Settings, tap Privacy, tap Analytics, and set “Share iPad Analytics” to off.

By using these features, you agree and consent to Apple’s and its subsidiaries’ and agents’ transmission, collection, maintenance, processing and use of this information as described above.

At all times, information received by Apple will be treated in accordance with Apple’s Privacy Policy, which can be found at www.apple.com/privacy

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2018 3:15 PM in response to Edward Grubb

If you look at the Analytics section it notes :

iPad Analytics may include details about hardware and operating system specifications, performance statistics, and data about how you use your devices and applications. None of the collected information identifies you personally. Personal data is either not logged at all, is subject to privacy preserving techniques such as differential privacy, or is removed from any reports before they’re sent to Apple. You can review this information by going to Settings on your iOS device, tapping Privacy, tapping Analytics and looking under Analytics Data.

If you have consented to provide Apple with this information, and you have Location Services turned on, the location of your devices may also be sent to help Apple analyze performance issues (for example, the strength or weakness of a mobile or Wi-Fi signal in a particular location). This analytics location data may include locations such as the location of your devices once per day, the location where a call ends or the location of a failed in-store transaction. You may choose to turn off Location Services for Analytics at any time. To do so, open Settings, tap Privacy, tap Location Services, tap System Services and turn off the iPad Analytics switch.

You may also choose to turn off Device Analytics altogether. To do so, open Settings, tap Privacy, tap Analytics, and set “Share iPad Analytics” to off.

By using these features, you agree and consent to Apple’s and its subsidiaries’ and agents’ transmission, collection, maintenance, processing and use of this information as described above.

At all times, information received by Apple will be treated in accordance with Apple’s Privacy Policy, which can be found at www.apple.com/privacy

Dec 16, 2018 3:17 PM in response to Edward Grubb

Is sharing iCloud analytics, diagnostics, and usage anonymous? As an example, could any government send a court order or warrant to require Apple to provide the information you collect when we share iCloud analytics and usage information with Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.