Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight search doesn't show application names

Hi,

I recently did a fresh install of macOS Mojave 10.14.1 and lately I noticed that Spotlight search won't search for applications. Below I entered "Safari" and instead of showing "Safari" from applications it shows everything else:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I can see under the System Preferences settings for Spotlight that the Applications category is already checked.

User uploaded file

I tried below changes but none of them helped:

1. Uncheck all categories and then after a while restart then check them all again
  2. Add Macintosh HD under Privacy then after a while restart then remove it
  3. Keep only Applications category checked
  4. Run Onyx with options for Rebuilding LaunchServices & Spotlight Index

This has become a real pain when I have to switch to Launchpad and then look for the app to open it.

I am not sure if its just me or if its with the 10.14.1 release.

Can anyone please help me resolve this issue?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 7:22 AM

12 replies

Dec 3, 2018 11:07 AM in response to dialabrain

This is bad. I am surprised that there isn't anyway in macOS to only fix the issues related to Spotlight than reinstall the whole thing and that too when I know the issue is just with Applications category alone.

Doesn't the Etrecheck output I uploaded give any clue on what the cause of the problem might be? I am afraid that even after reinstallation the issue might re-appear and this whole exercise could be nothing but a waste of time. I wouldn't mind reinstallation but knowing ahead the cause of problem might be helpful and this situation can be avoidable again.

Can you tell me when I do macOS Recovery by reinstalling macOS, would all my non standard delivered programs and settings stay or will I need to reinstall & configure each program once again?

Spotlight search doesn't show application names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.