Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is "Mac Cleanup Pro" legitimate or a scam?

First I received a prompt to update my Flash player. When I started the update process I noticed that there were other apps tagging along, and then I got a popup notice of a problem - and the offer of a computer cleanup using an app called "Mac Cleanup Pro." I got suspicious and tried to block the whole Flash download but am not sure I succeeded. Many issues here, but my first question is about the legitimacy of the offered cleanup app "Mac Cleanup Pro." Is it Apple? Is it safe? Thanks - RS

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 9:37 AM

Mac Cleanup Pro is malware and should not be downloaded. Applications/programs you download can’t open or run themselves without you authorizing them to first. I wouldn’t think too much about it if you have not opened the file.

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/13775-mac-cleanup-pro-unwanted-application -mac

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2018 9:37 AM in response to schultzroanokeedu

Mac Cleanup Pro is malware and should not be downloaded. Applications/programs you download can’t open or run themselves without you authorizing them to first. I wouldn’t think too much about it if you have not opened the file.

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/13775-mac-cleanup-pro-unwanted-application -mac

Nov 30, 2018 9:37 AM in response to schultzroanokeedu

Never download Flash Player from anywhere but the Official Adobe website or from within System Preferences > Flash Player > Check for updates. There are many bogus Flash Player installs that will install malware.

Mac Cleanup Pro is not Apple. No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system.

If you think you have installed malware run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Is "Mac Cleanup Pro" legitimate or a scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.