Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Update 10.13.6 Failed

I have a MacBook Air 4,1 running High Sierra 10.13.6. I attempted to load the most recent security update 10.13.6, which resulted in the screen going black with only the cursor visible. The cursor is moveable. I had to force a shutdown to gain access. Every time I shutdown the device I get the black screen with the cursor and I have to force a shutdown. How do I get this update loaded or how do I unapply what has been done so far?

Thanks

[Email Edited by Host]

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 11:10 AM

It seems that for whatever reason the update failed to install properly, and the login screen never appears after restarting your Mac. Is that correct?

Can you log in using "Safe Mode?" Read Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.

Then, regardless of the result, restart your Mac normally and determine if you can log in.

If you still cannot get to the login screen, then reinstall macOS using macOS Recovery: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2018 11:10 AM in response to Danmoeh

It seems that for whatever reason the update failed to install properly, and the login screen never appears after restarting your Mac. Is that correct?

Can you log in using "Safe Mode?" Read Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.

Then, regardless of the result, restart your Mac normally and determine if you can log in.

If you still cannot get to the login screen, then reinstall macOS using macOS Recovery: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery.

Security Update 10.13.6 Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.