Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay grey screen when watching DVD on MacBook Pro

I rented a DVD from Redbox and am trying to Airplay it from my MacBook Pro to my TV. I don’t have a DVD player anymore. I used to be able to do this without any issues but now there’s a grey screen. I read a previous comment saying it’s illegal to do this. Why? I legally paid to rent a DVD and watch it. This must be a new restriction with the operating system. I’m running Mojave. As I’m sure you know, the volume on MacBooks is awfully low so now I’m stuck watching this movie without being able to really hear it. Any suggestions besides not using DVDs?

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 4:23 PM

The Apple DVD Player application is blocking AirPlay Screen Mirroring due to compliance with the DVD Licensing body, to take measures against screen capture. What you did before must have been different in some aspect. It wouldn’t work with unprotected public domain content either through that application.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2018 4:23 PM in response to chrysoara

The Apple DVD Player application is blocking AirPlay Screen Mirroring due to compliance with the DVD Licensing body, to take measures against screen capture. What you did before must have been different in some aspect. It wouldn’t work with unprotected public domain content either through that application.

Airplay grey screen when watching DVD on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.