Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes music library not all showing on my new apple tv 4k

Okay,

There is an old thread on this but I thought I would start a new thread because the problem persists.

When you link your iTunes Library to the new Apple TV many albums, songs and artists don't show up. My playlists didn't show either. However, one of the potential issues is that some Albums are set to a compilation by various artists. That setting somehow blocks the synching between iTunes on my Mac or iPad and iTunes on Apple TV. This is definitely a bug and one that Apple is aware of but has never fixed - it goes back several years. Here is the the solution that worked for me:

1. go into iTunes on my computer and go to Albums
  2. then select all albums (Command-A)
  3. get information on all the selected albums (Command-I)
  4. ensure the Details tab is selected in the information window
  5. click the compilation checkbox until it is blank (see the attached image)
  6. Click OK

It may take a bit to kick in (in my case the changes needed to synch to my iPad since the Apple TV was synched to my iPad, not my computer).

That seemed to solve the problem for me. Others have reported other similar issues and suggest it is more than this but for me, it seemed to work. I will need to check more thoroughly to ensure that everything is there.

User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 2, 2018 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2018 5:49 PM

Home Sharing through the Computers app is how you are supposed to get to your iTunes Library on Apple TV.

The Music app on tvOS is for Apple Music and iTunes Match subscribers, and only sees the tracks in the cloud (iCloud Music Library) and iTunes Store tracks. Tracks in iTunes on your computer that are not in the cloud, will not show there.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2018 5:49 PM in response to MBSteed

Home Sharing through the Computers app is how you are supposed to get to your iTunes Library on Apple TV.

The Music app on tvOS is for Apple Music and iTunes Match subscribers, and only sees the tracks in the cloud (iCloud Music Library) and iTunes Store tracks. Tracks in iTunes on your computer that are not in the cloud, will not show there.

Dec 2, 2018 10:29 AM in response to MBSteed

Okay, a quick update on this issue. It was working last night. This morning it reverted back and now I can only see a partial list of the iTunes library. However, if I go into Computers and access the Home Shared iTunes then everything is there (turned on Home Sharing through iTunes on my Mac). It works but it would make more sense for iTunes to be the full library. I suspect this plagues a lot of people but they don't bother reporting it Apple Support.

iTunes music library not all showing on my new apple tv 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.