Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"WiFi has the self-assigned IP address and cannot connect to internet....

I use our church's wifi network and never had problems connecting until the past few weeks. My macbook typically connects to their network automatically but of late I get the notice about the self-assigned IP address which comes up as 169.254.179.21. I've read several older articles about this but have not yet found a solution.

Is this a problem on my end or the church's router? My priest always tells me that he has no problem when connecting, but other staff members at the church have indicated the same problem I've experienced. I've checked my settings and the "Configure IPv4 is set to "Using DHCP". "Configure IPv6 is set to "Automatically". Then there are 2 DNS servers, one of which I'm assuming is my home network IP address. The other I have no idea...it is fe80::120d:7fff:fe66:ee07. I am running on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.....thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), null

Posted on Dec 3, 2018 8:03 AM

8 replies

Dec 3, 2018 11:19 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric...what would that do? I just did it here at home but won't know if it had any positive effect until I get to church again. The church's technical advisor that services them wants me to bring my macbook later this week for him to check out. Isn't it more likely that it's a problem with the church's system? Thanks for the reply...see what happens next time.

Dec 3, 2018 11:40 AM in response to three4rd

The DHCP server is malfunctioning or misconfigured or unreachable, so macOS uses a self-assigned IP address.

The renew button asks the local DHCP server to renew the address, which would get a response and an IP address vended from the DHCP server, if the particular problem here was transient.

It's also possible that this could be a problem with macOS, though the DHCP bugs that have been around are all very old macOS version (10.5-era), or with very old Wi-Fi hardware.

And if you have any anti-virus, anti-malware, app or cache or file cleaners, performance optimizers, any network-traffic monitoring and filtering tools, or other add-on kernel tools present, or any ad-blocking tools, please remove those per the vendors' instructions, reboot, and test again.

Dec 3, 2018 11:51 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hoffman...referring to the church's server possibly malfunctioning, correct? They made an appointment for me to meet with their technical people. Wonder if, in the interest of maybe saving them a trip, perhaps I should go to the church and try the 'renew lease' option first? If that's the whole problem...sounds like it'd be a simple fix. I've not tried anything like that yet. Worthwhile making the trip over to do that?

Dec 3, 2018 12:19 PM in response to three4rd

I'm familiar with organizations operating ancient and sketchy Wi-Fi devices and mixes of random stuff folks donated over the years, and others with well-configured and recent gear, and yet others with substantial and interconnected networks of access points for coverage across the facility. There've also been folks that have newly-encountered interference from internal and external sources, too. This is really close to a "how high is up?" question, without details of the config and the gear.

The DHCP server is a component of the church's network. This DHCP server is probably embedded within the Wi-Fi hardware, though it could exist elsewhere in the church network such as within the church gateway-firewall-router box. Again, details here vary by network. Sometimes widely.

I'd doubt that a DHCP renew request would change the outcome and would cause the DHCP server to vend an IP address here, but stranger things have happened.

If your Mac has anti-virus, anti-malware or network-monitoring add-ons or other similar packages installed, please remove that, reboot, and test. That stuff has had a very long history of causing issues and instabilities and oddities for various folks.

Dec 3, 2018 8:00 PM in response to three4rd

You could run/post an Etrecheck report to show what is running on your system. If any potentially adverse programs are running, the report should show that.

Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information 10.10 and later

"WiFi has the self-assigned IP address and cannot connect to internet....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.