Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD problem permissions on SL

Hi everybody,

I have a question for you just out of my time-machine (not a DeLorean neither an FCA 500... but a Toyota's Arris actually :-) ).

I re-powered up a MacPro 1,1 A1186 (Intel Xeon 5100 "Woodcrest") to use it as HD-server with Snow Leopard updated to 10.6.8.

Everything was right up to an error over a .Dext plugin, then the reboot procedure stared fail... so I re-intalled SL.

Again severals .dext errors after the updates and again a boot-sequence freezed.

So I reinstalled SL again and now is fine... exept for the 3 slave HDs I installed into the case: I don't have permissions to open them, and the informations on my account is labeled as "customized" (and others too, like team or system etc.) ; I tried to change the permissions but useless even by the admin or owen password: I can't change those settings.

I red on how reset the permissions by terminal but the "reset permissions" command I found into an Apple Guide is unknown from this version of SL.

Any advice? Any idea? Please I want to access and save my datas!

Thanks for any help, I'll offer a Xmas Pizza too!

degas from Italy :-)

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 4, 2018 11:58 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 4, 2018 8:35 PM in response to degas74

Changing permissions is ill-advisable except on files in your own user folder that are independent of the Library folder.

If you changed any other permissions, these could affect booting, and access to the various user folders when logged into them.

What you can do if you damaged the permissions to a user, is move all its files into a Shared folder, and then piecemeal migrate the files to a currently working user.

Bare in mind, to check the permissions of files in a user folder that is functional that relates to its ability to login.

Maintain the same permissions for similar files. I.e. plists must maintain the same permissions throughout the folder.

I don't know about dext files, but kext files are known as kernel extensions. These usually relate to drivers that are installed.

HD problem permissions on SL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.