Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR - microphone issue ?

Whilst talking (trying to talk) to apple support they noted that they could hardly hear me. My signal strength is st max. So what else could it be ? Does the iPhone cr have a microphone problem ?

Posted on Dec 4, 2018 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2018 7:19 AM

I have a similar problem on my new iPhone XR. While talking on the phone with the phone to my ear and the mic in front of my mouth, people can hear me. If I so much as pivot the lower end of the phone down from my mouth, people can no longer hear me. It works fine when on speaker or using ear buds. Something definitely wrong with the mic fading off if not directly in front of your mouth.

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2018 7:19 AM in response to svaardt

I have a similar problem on my new iPhone XR. While talking on the phone with the phone to my ear and the mic in front of my mouth, people can hear me. If I so much as pivot the lower end of the phone down from my mouth, people can no longer hear me. It works fine when on speaker or using ear buds. Something definitely wrong with the mic fading off if not directly in front of your mouth.

Dec 17, 2018 9:12 AM in response to ggboolo

My XR microphone worked for phonecalls and voice memos. But not for taking videos as there would be a lot of hiss and patchy underwater-like sound recording with silences and gaps.

After doing all the recommended suggestions including toggling of various sound options and even doing a reset that caused the loss of all my preset wifi passwords and customised settings, I finally solved the problem.

There is actually a 3rd microphone near the rear-facing camera that was covered by the rear phone protector. Cutting off a corner of it to unblock the microphone hole did the trick. All that unnecessary sweat wasted. Hopefully this helps for some of you.

Jan 27, 2019 8:03 AM in response to svaardt

I have had my iPhone XR for a few months. The microphone for the phone only breaks up sometimes or I sound muffled. It is worse on speaker phone or if I talk thru the bottom of the phone. It does this with any covers off the phone. I reset the phone as instructed and it seemed to work for a short time. I'll go to Apple Support but it is a strange issue. The other mics all work fine i.e. only happens with phone calls.

Apr 19, 2019 7:00 AM in response to allyismydog

I bought the new XR a short time ago and have the same problem. My friends and fAmily kept telling me they could not hear me and I sound like crap. I insisted it wasn’t my phone as it was an expensive brand new iPhone but then my son called me from his friends XR and I finally heard exactly what every one had been saying about my phone all along. I contacted apple tech support and nothing helped. Except holding the phone just so the mic is right under my mouth. Heaven forbid it’s even slightly turned away from my mouth. Any way I asked the apple tech I’f this is a common complaint and she said no but clearly this isn’t true. A simple google search proves that is actually a problem across all color versions of the XR and there is a design flaw that some how apple is not acknowledging. They are saying there is nothing wrong and while there may not be any damage or malfunction per say there is most definitely a design flaw. For the cost of these phones I shouldn’t have to consciously be sure the phone is held perfectly straight on to be heard. My old 6splus didn’t have this issue and the cheap 40$ Android I got my daughter doesn’t have this issue so I expect the 800 dollar phone to pick up my voice no matter how the phone is held against my ear. This is ridiculous

Mar 6, 2019 3:31 PM in response to allyismydog

The problem remained with the replacement phone (red). Diagnostics by Apple indicated the phone was in working order.

I have been working with the phone provider, for a solution but thus far none. We replaced the SIM card. I am waiting for a final tech work up before going back to apple.

I believe it is a design flaw. If I speak loudly and especially speak into the microphone holding the phone at a perpendicular angle to my head then it seems to work better. The speaker phone isn't as good.

Anyone else go through a similar experience?

Apr 19, 2019 9:41 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

yes I thought that might be the cause as well so when chatting with the apple tech I told her I was going to try one more thing and that was removing my case although there is no way in heck I would carry around this phone with a glass back with out a case. I actually have literally 5 different styles of cases for this phone and had the same issue with all of them but to did make a phone call with no case installed at all and again holding only the side edges of the phone I was told I was heard fine when holding it perfectly straight on but literally moving it even 6 degrees away from directly in front of my mouth that it sounded like crap and was all gargled and choppy and she couldn’t hear or understand me. I mean I suppose eventually I will learn to be aware to hold the. Bottom of the phone directly under my mouth but I find myself being less aware when I’m super busy and answer a call while getting my kids a drink or really anytime I first answer the phone. Same with making calls. I keep forgetting the mic stinks on the phone and I make a call to the doctors office for example and soon as they answer I’m like hello I’m calling Jonny Appleseed and his birthday is J

1/1/10 and I’m calling because he has a bad cough and bla bla boa and I get the response of I am sorry I didn’t hear a thing you said your voice is gargled and choppy and I’m thinking come on this phone is driving me insane and I then adjust is the 5 or so degrees so the bottom is right below my mouth and apologize then start over. Yes it has the ability to pick up my voice clearly but I just upgraded from the old iPhone 6s Plus and never ever had an issue with being heard no matter the angle the phone is being held. So for that reason I certainly expect to have the same quality in phone calls as I did with my older iPhone. It can’t be that hard to fix the placement of the mic or what ever they did right on the older iPhones on the new XR so that people so t have to constantly be checking they are holding the phone just right so they can be heard. I mean I’d the issue only happens I’d i was holding the hone way way off or upside down then I would just make sure I’m hiding the phone normal but I am holding it normal it’s just super finicky with being needed to be held just so. It should still be clear even if the user is holding the phone bottom an inch or two on either side of the mouth let alone just slightly off to one side or the other.

iPhone XR - microphone issue ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.