Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV doesn't work with HDMI Switch

Apple TV doesn't seem to work with my HDMI Switch. Tried every combination of cables. Tried switching all devices on and off at different times. Googled to see if anyone else has tried a switcher with Apple TV. All I know is: PlayStation 3 works just fine running through the switcher. Apple TV doesn't work at all with the switcher, only when plugged directly into the TV.

I only have one HDMI port on my Samsung HDTV and two HDMI devices (PlayStation 3, Apple TV). All my component slots are full and I already have a component switcher that's full, too. So HDMI is the only option for me.

Any ideas? Switcher claims to support HDCP... and it does do HD resolutions (PS3 displaying in 720p).

Power Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Mar 26, 2007 2:20 AM

22 replies

Mar 26, 2007 3:20 AM in response to Ravi Hiranand

this is not an uncommon scenario.. with HDMI 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and now 1.3 standards and different manufacturers with different levels of adherance to each standard, it is often times the case that you will find an incompatibility between a source / switch / display.

my only suggestions would be to try a different switcher... not a great suggestion, but the only thing that i think that could lead to results.

Mar 26, 2007 9:16 AM in response to Ravi Hiranand

I use this 5x1 switch from Monoprice and it works fine, switching 3 devices, which are then routed through my AV receiver's switch... Despite the convoluted hookup, I have not had HDCP handshake issues.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?cid=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&pid=2777&seq=1&format=2&style=

The nice thing about this switch is:

1. It works: no discernable loss in quality, switches relatively quickly, etc.

2. It's cheaper than many others, like Gefen, or even the Xtrememac (which is 4x1)

3. The remote has discrete buttons for each input, which is very helpful when setting up a universal remote like my Harmony 880. I can't tell from the Xtrememac picture if it's a direct input, or if you can only cycle through the inputs...

Good luck!

MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Mar 26, 2007 9:50 AM in response to Ravi Hiranand

I have mine connected into a Pionner AV Receiver with 4 HDMI input and have no issue with swiching sources - I would have guessed that a switch would work the same way. What I can tell you is that when I do switch source to Apple TV it takes apox 30 seconds for the signal be be recognized and a picture to come up. This is true for both my PS3 and my Blue Ray Sony DVD Player as well...

Mar 26, 2007 10:22 AM in response to Ravi Hiranand

Like a previous post, I use a Pioneer receiver to switch multiple HDMI components, sharing one HDMI port on TV. No problem w/Apple TV. You do have to be patient, my kids have complained it doesn't work only to have not waited 30 sec or so before 'switching' back to another component. If still no luck, cables are also advertised as diff levels of HDMI support - might be cheaper trying different cable combinations than getting a new switch or receiver.
Pics

May 26, 2007 10:57 AM in response to hphansen

My AppleTV refuses to work with the XtremeMac product. Some basic troubleshooting steps I tried were swapping cables, swapping ports, swapping devices (I have several HDMI devices), etc. From what I could determine, the switch and the cables are fine, while the AppleTV is the only HDMI device I have that exhibits problems. It only has issues when connected through the switch (but connects just fine direct to the TV). What's interesting, when I did a factory reset of the AppleTV, suddenly it displayed the Apple logo through the switch, but only for two seconds and then the signal was lost again.

May 27, 2007 4:55 AM in response to Jon Weston

What's interesting, when I did a factory reset of the AppleTV, suddenly it displayed the Apple logo through the switch, but only for two seconds and then the signal was lost again.
Sounds as if the switcher is not being recognized as a valid playback component so TV refuses to pass the video. I personally use the component outputs to avoid such problems since most of my iTunes media is SD anyway. Realize this may not be a desireable option for some. Only other possibility I can thnk of would be to wire the TV HDMI directly to the TV if a secondary HDMI input is available.

User uploaded file

Apple TV doesn't work with HDMI Switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.