28273 Views Previous 1 2 3 4 5 … Next 201 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2007 9:17 AM by kellydc3 Go to original post
I installed Safari on my Windows XP Professional SP2 machine and when I opened it, the menus had random characters. I tested the software on another machine and it worked fine.
Just to let you know
Here is a screenshot:
Following the original installation, was the PC/Windows was restarted as the Installer requests/requires?
My limited use and knowledge of Windows at the moment is XP SP2 through Parallels. The installation went fine, restarted Windows and then launched Safari. It works as expected as does removing tabs to create new windows.
Perhaps try the 'Add or Remove Programs' Control Panel, re-install, restart and try again?
there are some screenshot of safari rendering with some famous website.
css zen garden
PC (uff) Windows XP Pro AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ATI RADEON 9000 ATLANTIS
Ok--the fix DID work after all... Make sure you delete the installation file before trying it.
When you rename the Safari.resources folder, the installation program automatically rebuilds it. When you ax that file, then open Safari, the error message pops up. Rename the folder back to Safari.resources
That should work; it did for me.
I've installed it about 5 times now, each time rebooting and following instructions.
The only thing that remotely worked is when I deleted the font files in the resources directory and then the initial loading page worked but the browser still has no text for menus, etc.
At this point, I'm just going to wait for them to fix it, I think.
For those of you basically saying "It's a beta. What do you expect?" Well... I expect a beta to be a beta -- that is, a feature complete piece of software that is ready for full testing and that has a certain number of unknown bugs that will need to be fixed before a full release, and that beta testing will (hopefully) uncover. From my 15 years in the software industry, this is my understanding of what "beta" means.
In other words, I expect beta software features to at least exist and be usable even if the program does exhibit some instability from time to time. The sort of font bug that people are reporting here renders the program completely unusable from the get-go, and should have been caught before Apple released the software as "beta," imvho. And that's why I said earlier that, in my opinion, it is embarrassing for Apple that their engineers did not catch this before releasing it as a "public beta."
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8ghz 3gb RAM - Black MacBook - iMac 17" G5 PPC - Mac Mini Mac OS X (10.4.6)
OK, here it goes:
-Disabled dirver signing - Set to 'IGNORE' (My XP kept repairing itself if set to 'WARN.')
-Removed the folder name and renamed it to something else.
-Removed the ttf fonts from the folder.
-Launched app. and the got error.
-Renamed folder back again ('Safari.resources').
-Launced app and it now working with 'ugly' looking fonts.
Other than this, it's working like a champ now.
Got it working.
First I did the following. Open the Safari directory
and found a directory called Safari.resources. I
copied both Fonts that are located in that directory
into windows. Closed restarted. STILL didn't work.
I then renamed the safari.resources to something
else. Load the application get an Access Violation.
(Clicked twice for the fun)
Then rename it back and ITS WORKING.
Just sharing my experience
Hey, great post. That fixed the problem for me as well. Interesting fix.
I had previously re-installed about 3 or 4 times from both the Safari / Quicktime installer and the standalone Safari installer. Neither worked.
Your fix brought it up immediately. Everything looks right now.