My iPhone crashes when I leave the Files app connected to a network drive

When I use the "connect to server" option in the Files app to connect to a network drive, and then leave my phone connected (as I should be able to do), the phone will consistently crash at least once per day.

It tends to happen when I leave my house, so presumably it relates to the effect of being disconnected from the LAN where the server is based.

I think the issue relates to the fact that the Files app poorly handles a scenario where a file server is offline. When I connect to my file server, and later that server goes offline, the iPhone behaves like it is continually trying to connect to this server, and eventually the Files app will crash, which causes the whole iPhone to crash.

The crash requires a hard reset to resolve.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on May 1, 2023 7:28 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 13, 2024 6:45 AM in response to TheSfingks

The way you described the issue perfectly matches my experience as well. When the Files app is connected to a server on my LAN, the Files app seems to reside in the foreground or take complete precedence over everything else and no other app on my iPhone 11 Pro Max is able to work properly; ie, the Photos or Settings app is just a black GUI at that point. Important to note: the issue persists regardless if I attempt to close the Files app and open another app on iPhone thereafter; rather, I am forced to perform a hard reset to rectify the issue and have the ability, once again, to use my iPhone as expected. Also note that my 3rd party file manager does not crash the iPhone, and that I keep my iOS updated automatically. I have been experiencing this problem with the iPhone Files app since Summer 2023 until as recent as last night connecting to a shared folder on my Win10 Pro desktop.

My iPhone crashes when I leave the Files app connected to a network drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.