Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

What External Storage Devices work with the iPhone 15 Pro Max. SD cards are OK, but struggling with my PCIe/NVMe SSDs

My Sabrent EC-SNVE enclosure works fine with my MacBook Pro and my iPad Pro. With my new iPhone 15 Pro Max the light just blinks. It's formatted as ex-FAT. I called Apple Tech Support but after nearly an hour they couldn't find a list of supported SSD device types.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 8:38 PM

Does the enclosure have a spot where you could connect a power supply? In many cases, an iPhone does not supply enough power to allow the external drive to be fully used. It might "wake up" the drive, but the data transfer can't occur.

I'm sure you've seen this, but this is Apple's help article about external drives: Connect external storage devices to iPhone - Apple Support

~Lyssa

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2023 8:38 PM in response to Cnorthcutt

Does the enclosure have a spot where you could connect a power supply? In many cases, an iPhone does not supply enough power to allow the external drive to be fully used. It might "wake up" the drive, but the data transfer can't occur.

I'm sure you've seen this, but this is Apple's help article about external drives: Connect external storage devices to iPhone - Apple Support

~Lyssa

Apr 18, 2024 1:03 AM in response to Lyssa

Hey Lyssa,

You can use this apple AV adapter https://www.apple.com/in/shop/product/MUF82ZM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?afid=p238%7CsNqk9JCZJ-dc_mtid_187079nc38483_pcrid_467299283023_pgrid_112411329089_pntwk_g_pchan_online_pexid__&cid=aos-IN-kwgo-pla-btb--slid---product-MUF82ZM/A-IN

Plugin your SSD via USB B to adapter & the USB C to the SSD. Then use the another USB C port in the AV adapter to supply the power from your mobile charger. The SSD should show up in the files menu!

Also, check this youtube video for better understanding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNR6uxytdas

Regards,

Naveen

What External Storage Devices work with the iPhone 15 Pro Max. SD cards are OK, but struggling with my PCIe/NVMe SSDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.