Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

HMRC Basic Paye tools

I have updated my mac to Sonoma 14, but now get error messages when trying to do payroll for my business using HMRC Basic Paye Tools. Is anyone else having the same problem.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 5:38 AM

I saw somewhere online that ticking the box ' I wish to explain why this is late' stopped the programme crashing. It worked for me.

Poor effort by HMRC though.

Similar questions

40 replies

Jan 18, 2024 4:21 AM in response to DianeCHS

January's update (slated for the change in NI) has rewritten the interface and now it "talks" to you default browser in a much more discreet way. For me this fixed the issue with Sonoma too so I'm a happy bunny.

Note some elements have changed, e.g. if you want to restore a file (which I do a a lot as I move around so have an export file on DropBox that I import at every location before I start) then the import dialogue doesn't support a "locate" option now, you have to just use the Finder and drop the file on the dialogue box.

Happy submitting folks.

Shawn.

Nov 5, 2023 8:45 AM in response to sarahsr99

I have been told by HMRC to revert back to the previous operating system as BASIC PAYE tools is not compatible with the Sonoma at the moment. This looks like a huge mistake on HMRC, clearly they have not tested the software on the new operation system. Luckily I had an old Lap top with windows which I downloaded Basic Paye Tools and was able to use last months back up. If you do not have a back you are screwed. Hope this helps.

Nov 28, 2023 1:08 AM in response to sarahsr99

How to reinstall macOS – Apple Support (UK)

I followed these instructions, mine is an 'Intel' so I followed the bit "if your using any other Mac" I backed up my data first on an external hard drive and via Time Machine and tooka back up of Basic Paye Tools.

Now.... if you have been using Time Machine regularly you might be able to roll back to a previous version using that, unfortunately I didnt do that hence had to do the whole wipe and start again process. I am not very techy either so was a bit nervous... fingers crossed I seem to have done it ok. Such a huge amount of hassle! Good Luck

Nov 28, 2023 12:46 AM in response to 69-SS

I had to roll back my Mac to Ventura to enable me to process

payroll, it just kept crashing on Sonoma - I don’t think I could even get to

the point of ticking the box as suggested above.  I called HMRC a few times but they were absolutely

no help unfortunately - just said an update would probably be issued next

financial year!

Nov 9, 2023 7:05 AM in response to DianeCHS

I have had the same problem - Basic Paye tools is not supported by Sonoma 14. I am on the verge of having to roll back my Mac to Ventura but really dont want to do this! HMRC just said there were no updates on the horizon and it would probably be next tax year... not very helpful! There must be many people having the same problem.

Mar 25, 2024 10:13 AM in response to maccathy

Hi Cathy,

Officially you are using a suported operation system (Ventura). The release notes for BPT version 24.0.24072 say;

The following operating systems are supported:

• Windows 10 and 11
  • macOS version 13 ‘Ventura’ and 14 ‘Sonoma’
  • Ubuntu Linux version 20.04 LTS and 23.10

Only 64-bit Intel/AMD compatible versions of these operating systems are supported. MacOS is also supported on Apple Silicon (M1) processors.

You can use the following browsers if you need assistive software support:

• Microsoft Edge (Windows only)
  • Google Chrome
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Apple Safari (macOS only)

Check your version number of BPT if it's not current re-download it ( Do *not* uninstall as that deletes your data)

If it still fails you have a valid case to report it to HMRC.

Regards,

Shawn

Nov 28, 2023 1:02 AM in response to acb987

Thank you for the feedback. Would you mind me asking how you went back to Ventura? I’ve tried but couldn’t do it. I’m not tech minded ! I’ve had to borrow my daughter’s MacBook as she hadn’t done the update.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hmrc just told me to buy windows and input all my payroll from April. Shocking advice!

HMRC Basic Paye tools

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.