Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Moving app to folder creates a duplicate icon

Just bought an IPad Pro 11 4th generation, randomly when I move app to a folder a duplicate is created on the home screen. If I try to delete it, it deletes both duplicate and the app. If I try to remove from home screen it removes both as well. I'm running iPadOS 17.1.1

iPad Pro (4th generation)

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2023 7:16 AM

Same problem Apple team, this isn't a case of users not understanding how to arrange icons. It seems to occur only with my iPad Pro.

Error Observation:

Device: iPad Pro 4 w/ 17.1.2

Situation: i drag & drop an icon into the folder.

Result: iOS moves the icon into the folder AND places a duplicate icon on the home screen. selecting "remove app from home screen" removes the app from BOTH the home screen and the folder i just placed it into.

Expected Functionality:

Device: iPad 7 w/ 17.1.2

Situation: i drag & drop an icon into a folder.

Result: iOS moves the icon into the folder and REMOVES the icon from the home screen.

Bottom line: currently with the pro, it's not possible to remove an app from the home screen without also removing it from the folders. it's crazy. help.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2023 7:16 AM in response to michelfromtrenton

Same problem Apple team, this isn't a case of users not understanding how to arrange icons. It seems to occur only with my iPad Pro.

Error Observation:

Device: iPad Pro 4 w/ 17.1.2

Situation: i drag & drop an icon into the folder.

Result: iOS moves the icon into the folder AND places a duplicate icon on the home screen. selecting "remove app from home screen" removes the app from BOTH the home screen and the folder i just placed it into.

Expected Functionality:

Device: iPad 7 w/ 17.1.2

Situation: i drag & drop an icon into a folder.

Result: iOS moves the icon into the folder and REMOVES the icon from the home screen.

Bottom line: currently with the pro, it's not possible to remove an app from the home screen without also removing it from the folders. it's crazy. help.

Moving app to folder creates a duplicate icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.