Changing order of all day Calendar Events

I've found it useful to subscribe (via .ics) to some calendars that provide information like daily weather or whether we have recycling or just regular trash that day. These are provided as all day events that show up in my apple calendar. I'd like to have weather at the top (since it's every day), then trash schedule, then birthdays, holidays, and irregular all day iCloud calendar events.

I've found I can change the order of events within iCloud (e.g. drag weather above trash) but things like birthdays (from Contacts) are in the Other category and they seem to pop to the top.

Is there a way to control the ordering of those in the all-day section of the calendar?

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Dec 5, 2023 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2023 5:09 PM

I hide my 'Other' calendars on my Mac (from Calendar settings) and have built my own equivalents; the Public Holiday one was particularly useless because it was national, not local. I really didn't need to know when other Australian states had their day off when we had a work day, for example, but for the purposes of your query I reactivated them and found that the calendars in this category are promoted to the top automatically; I found no way to reorder them even within the 'Other' category let alone the application itself.

However, you can determine the order of daily events in calendars of your own making within Calendar, not just by signing into iCloud on the Internet. This is achieved simply by opening the list of calendars using the little calendar icon toggle at the top left. Then when you have the list of your calendars simply move them to the order you require. This order is replicated in the entries for daily events, though I found I had to quit Calendar then restart it so that it could rebuild the display.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2023 5:09 PM in response to mrcarino

I hide my 'Other' calendars on my Mac (from Calendar settings) and have built my own equivalents; the Public Holiday one was particularly useless because it was national, not local. I really didn't need to know when other Australian states had their day off when we had a work day, for example, but for the purposes of your query I reactivated them and found that the calendars in this category are promoted to the top automatically; I found no way to reorder them even within the 'Other' category let alone the application itself.

However, you can determine the order of daily events in calendars of your own making within Calendar, not just by signing into iCloud on the Internet. This is achieved simply by opening the list of calendars using the little calendar icon toggle at the top left. Then when you have the list of your calendars simply move them to the order you require. This order is replicated in the entries for daily events, though I found I had to quit Calendar then restart it so that it could rebuild the display.

Apr 29, 2024 9:55 AM in response to David McKinlay

If we have holidays on our calendar, they always show at the top, so if two fall on the same day, they push any events that I schedule out of view. Of course, I can click on that day, but if I'm scanning the calendar for an open time, that is a problem. I'd like my events to be on top.

There are various work arounds if it's my events, but there seems to be no way to keep the holidays from being first on the calendar.

Changing order of all day Calendar Events

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.