Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iMac Restarts When It Should Sleep

Late '15 iMac 21", Monterey 12.7.4 on external SSD, but keeping HDD updated as well.

There are always issues when an update comes along, major this time so I did a clean install on both drives. Set everything back up and all working well (even the HDD ran better).

I have always set screensaver after 20 minutes, sleep after an hour and require password after 4 hours. Now, whenever it is time to sleep, the machine restarts. I can set sleep to "Never" and I can set sleep (display off) to one hour if I do not "sleep" the drive with no issues.

There are many old discussions recommending Safe Mode, PRAM and SMC resets, reinstalls and closing processes running in Activity Monitor. The only one I have not completely done is closing processes because I have no way of knowing what they are doing or supposed to be doing-most make no sense to me.

I did an EtreCheck on the HDD and it came back with possible disk failure, kernal panics and malware (MalwareBytes found none). The SSD check indicated no major issues.

Other than this, the computer works amazingly well for an older machine/OSX.

any thoughts? Or should I keep the computer running with the display Off until it dies?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Apr 29, 2024 12:06 PM

10 replies

Apr 29, 2024 5:42 PM in response to Marc Schreiber

any thoughts?

Two.

—First, some external USB devices can cause sleep issues. Disconnect any (other the mouse and keyboard) and test. I wonder it the bootable external SSD is the culprit. Can you still boot the computer from the internal drive?

—Second, post the EtreCheck report. Most of the senior contributors here have reviewed thousands of such Something that seems innocuous to a new user can stand out as an issue to those of us with far more time with EtreCheck.

If you use the instructions in this User-submitted Tip, the EtreCheck report will not reveal any personal or security information:

How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

iMac Restarts When It Should Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.