Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes on Vista 64 bit.

Okay, I'm new here so I probably missed it but after upgrading to ITunes 7.4 from 7.3 I get an error message saying that ITunes did not install correctly and that my ITunes CD folder is missing so I can't burn or import CD's anymore. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Gateway GT5040, Windows Vista, 64 bit, Dual core 2.8, 2 GIG ram

Posted on Sep 6, 2007 11:26 AM

41 replies

Sep 6, 2007 11:51 AM in response to Paul2079

iTunes does not currently support 64 bit Vista. Yes, I realize that this is a problem they need to fix. But for right now, the work around is to install the 64 bit Gear drivers separately. There's a standalone driver here.

You should however still have the folder with the CD configuration files. The problem with running iTunes on 64 bit is that you don't get the drivers, the iPhone driver, the CD burning drivers, or the taskbar mini player. Try a repair install and see if you get the folder to come back.

Sep 7, 2007 2:44 PM in response to abstract~stu

So, you have the CD driver now because you installed the standalone driver from Gear software, but now your CD folder in missing from \Program Files\iTunes, correct? And a repair install did not reinstall the CD folder.

Why don't we send an installer log to the Apple engineers? Because it sounds like the installer is not doing something it's supposed to. To get an installer log on Vista,

1. Run the command prompt window. (Start menu -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. Right click on it, run as administrator.)

2. Type the full path of the iTunesSetup.exe on your system followed by the command line arguments to create a log file. For example if you have iTunesSetup.exe on your desktop, the path will be

C:\Users\<username>\Desktop\iTunesSetup.exe /l*v C:\log.txt

3. Hit return. The installer will launch and run normally. Do a repair install.

4. The installer will create a log file:

C:\log.txt

You need to send that file to our buddy Roy, royb@apple.com. Make sure that you include:

(1) the log.txt file.
(2) the link to this thread.
(3) a one line description of your problem, i.e. "CD Folder not restored on repair install".
(4) the username that you're using here in the discussion boards.

Roy is getting a little swamped with messages and needs to make sure he gets all the information. And if he doesn't get that information, the message is just going to get dropped on the floor.

Message was edited by: toonz

Sep 7, 2007 3:20 PM in response to toonz

I got 7.4 to work on my system.

Version 7.3.2 of iTunes worked fine on 64 Bit Vista Ultimate. The upgrade to 7.4 says the Cd Configuration Folder is missing. All I did was de-install 7.4. Reinstalled 7.3.2 (downloaded from filehippo.com). In this install, the Cd Configruation folder is correctly put into the iTunes Directory. I copied that folder to another location. De-installed 7.3.2 and re-installed 7.4. Then copied the CD Configuration folder back into the iTunes directory. And now it works fine.

Sep 7, 2007 4:15 PM in response to Ollie630

Thanks for the tip. Copying the CD Configuration folder from a 7.3.2 install to the 7.4 is the trick that gets Vista 64 to burn CDs. This was driving me crazy until I saw this post. Also I might add that you have to install the 64 bit Gear CD drivers (having them previously installed from the 7.3 version is OK, no need to re-install them).

As for iPhone connect to iTunes on Vista 64. I have been searching for months and have never heard of any work around or software to allow this. As far as I know it is not possible. Apple's official answer is "change your OS back to 32 bit or find another computer".

Message was edited by: Breakpoint

Sep 9, 2007 8:14 AM in response to Paul2079

thanks for the info in this thread, helpful for me aswell.

still, I don't understand why apple can be so slow supporting vista x64.
one thing is to mess with microsoft, making a point that "we won't support your quirky x64-bit OS just right away". but apple is also messing with their own customers. the ones that bought an ipod or iphone and are unable to use it with their 64-bit windows computers (and I think this userbase is larger than you think..). I know it was a stupid move to not investigate more before the buy, but I swallowed my bummer and thougt: I guess it will be supported in the next iTunes, so I'll just be patient and wait some more.

Now, I've been patient for a long time, and several iTunes releases. Now iTunes 7.4(.1) is a fact, and still no support.
Please apple, do something about this now!

regards
evero

Sep 10, 2007 5:24 PM in response to toonz

I'm having sort of a similar problem. I can download the updates and I get done with the install and the program launches but tells me that it hasn't been installed properly so I can't burn or import cd's and that I'll have to re-install before I can.

I've TRIED re-installing. I've tried many, many times. It does the same thing. Its never happened with iTunes 7.3 or any of the earlier versions, but since I've had to go to 7.4 (first 7.4.0.28 and now 7.4.1) I get that message every time. I've tried downloading from the "there is a new version of iTunes available" prompt and the Apple website directly with the same result. I'm not sure if its a 64-bit compatibility problem or what, but I'd sure appreciate some help.

ITunes on Vista 64 bit.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.