This discussion is archived

iPod sync generates Error -54

14789 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2008 4:07 PM by homa RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
Soron Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 10, 2007 6:04 AM
Hi

lately my iPod quits my synchronization with an Error -54.
The sync is completely but it worries me a bit.

The exact error message:
Attempting to copy to the disk "<iPod name>" failed. An unknown error occurred (-54).

As i told before, all changes i have done in the Lib are completely done. On the iPod is only half of the capacity is used until now.

Does anybody know what causes the error?
iBook G4 & iPod Video 80Gig, Mac OS X (10.4.10), iPod Firmare 1.2.1
  • Niel Level 10 Level 10 (234,365 points)
    Sep 10, 2007 3:29 PM (in response to Soron)
    Open the Script Editor in the /Applications/AppleScript/ folder and run the following:

tell application "Finder"
    set locked of every item of entire contents of folder "Music:iTunes" of home to false
    end tell

(24299)
    iMac DV 450, Mac OS X (10.3.9)
  • sveinur Calculating status...
    Sep 11, 2007 11:39 AM (in response to Soron)
    I figured it out by using Niel's suggestion.

tell application "Finder"
    set locked of every item of entire contents of folder "your folder" to false
    end tell

Just copy/paste and press Play!
    Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
    Sep 11, 2007 11:39 AM (in response to Soron)
    Unfortunatly i am a complete AppleScript dummie. Do i just have to copy and past the tell section of your reply?

Yes.

(24315)
    iMac DV 450, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • FrankVe Calculating status...
    Sep 12, 2007 6:17 PM (in response to sveinur)
    Yesterday i posted the same error.
    Your suggestion fixed my problem, thanks a lot!!!
    Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.9)
  • Element_IR Calculating status...
    Sep 14, 2007 9:52 AM (in response to Soron)
    Another "for dummies" way of bulk unlocking (which I did) is to use Locker. It's a tiny freeware lock / unlock utility.

http://www.vojousoftware.com/
    Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • halfpint360 Calculating status...
    Sep 16, 2007 6:12 AM (in response to Soron)
    Hi,

I've had my iPod less than a year and my problem is sort of the same as this.
    Only my "unknown" error is (-48).

Can you help me? I've thought about returning it or ringing Apple. But maybe you can help.
    Is my Mac too old? Is my iPod?

Thanks.
    Mac OS X (10.4.8)
    Sep 16, 2007 9:27 AM (in response to halfpint360)
    Click here and follow the instructions.

(24445)
    iMac DV 450, Mac OS 9.2.x
  • Felix needs help! Calculating status...
    Sep 17, 2007 1:22 AM (in response to Niel)
    Niel,
    I have the same error, I am using a 30GB with a Mac. The error showed up after I put music in my library from another mp3 player.
    I have restore it 3 times, I have run the script editor about 5 times ( then I saved the file). I have also allowed the authorized the computer to run other music from other places, by going to "store" then "authorize computer" and so on........ Unfortunately I still have the error! Do you have any other ideas? Thanks
    macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • Felix needs help! Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 17, 2007 1:56 AM (in response to Felix needs help!)
    OK Niel,

I think I solved my problem but I went the long way (cavemen style: I hope the GEICO cavemen are not reading this :)) of doing this. I really don't know if the script editor code helped or not. I erased all of my music from my computer then I restore my ipod again then I ran the script editor code. Then I put back all the music from the mp3 player (the source of the problem) that I wanted to add. I was expecting the same error but it did not come back. Now I have to import about 20 cds back to my computer and make my music list. I was impatient and just wanted to make this darn thing work. I've only had my ipod and mac book for about a 1 week and 3 days respectively, and this is not a very good experience when you are switching from windows to mac!!!
    Thanks
    macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • yosarian Calculating status...
    Sep 18, 2007 12:31 AM (in response to Soron)
    I have been having the same problem with my Nano. I have tried uninstalling 7.4.2 and installing an older version (7.2 and older) but either they throw the same error or the installer package will not allow me to select the older version of itunes to install.

I tried the file lock script on not only the "Music:iTunes" folder, but also the folder that I use to store my music. (I store my mp3s in a directory separate from the iTunes folder). No dice with the script on either folder.

What should I try next?
    AppleTV; PowerMac G5 Quad & Pismo PB (G3) Both running, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 6gb ram; 1gb ram (Pismo)
  • yosarian Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 18, 2007 10:48 AM (in response to yosarian)
    Arrrgggh. The old "reboot and all will be fixed" solution worked. I wish I had done that before posting a message. Thanks for the tips on locking and unlocking folders and files.
    AppleTV; PowerMac G5 Quad & Pismo PB (G3) Both running, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 6gb ram; 1gb ram (Pismo)
  • lambu1 Calculating status...
    Sep 20, 2007 9:21 AM (in response to Niel)
    thanks .. this seems to be working fine on my ipod classic ... kewl

thanks again
    MacBook Pro 15.4" 1.87Ghz 1.5GB RAM 80Gb, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Soundsticks2 IpodClassic 80gb nokiaE65 Seagate 320gb External HDD
1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.