Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Maps Error Message - "Driving directions could not be received"

Hi guys, i've had my iPhone for quite a while now and lately I'm getting the error message "Driving directions could not be received" when I'm in the maps application. I've reset the phone and I'm still getting that message. Any ideas as to whats going on?

17" iMAC Intel Core Duo, 13" Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5),  8 GB iPhone, 16 GB iPod Touch

Posted on Nov 4, 2007 6:44 PM

43 replies

Dec 8, 2007 11:22 AM in response to TheStone

My situation may be different that everyone elses, the problem with mine was that the starting address was my home address and it's a brand new home so the address just simply wasn't recognized by google maps. I put in a different starting location and then everything started working just fine. Don't know if this helps but it is what it is. . .

Dec 11, 2007 8:08 AM in response to TheStone

Not sure if this is the answer but....
I could never get the driving directions to work and then one day my son was playing with my iPhone when I was out in the car. He said... 'This directions thing is cool'... and sure enough he had it working with no problem at all.
I began to suspect I was doing something wrong so I tried it when I came home but got the usual 'no directions' message.
I suspect that it wont load them over wi-fi which I have at home but will load them over the mobile data network that I connect to when out and about (we don't have much outside wi-fi here).
Anyone else seen this??

Dec 11, 2007 9:58 AM in response to Nathan C

Actually, the two addresses I'm testing are my home (no suite, box, floor, etc.) and a local restaurant near my home. I'm able to plot both locations with Google maps but can't get the directions function to work (BTW, it used to work just fine).

This is the case with all directions entered, I've just given you an example of some of the test addresses I've used.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dec 11, 2007 10:03 AM in response to Don Collins

Don Collins,

Have you reset the iPhone by holding down the top and home buttons until you see the Apple logo? If it works after that, a reset fixed it.

Before we continue, please sync with your computer, so that we know the computer has your latest information. In addition please download any photos you have taken with the iPhone to your computer.

Then go to settings -> General -> Reset all settings, and try plotting the directions. Does it work?

If it does, we are going to try a few more steps to try and isolate where your issue might be occurring.

If it doesn't, try restoring the iPhone, and when prompted let it load the data from backup.

Does it work? If so, great. We fixed it with a restore.

If it still isn't working, I would suggest we try a restore, but not load the information from the backup on the computer and see if it starts working.

Thank you,

Nathan C.

Google Maps Error Message - "Driving directions could not be received"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.