Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone ringtones

Want to assign ringtones to my iPhone but going to view and view options, ringtones not showing as an option can anyone help ?

iMac24, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 20, 2007 12:34 AM

48 replies

Nov 20, 2007 12:56 AM in response to pershoreginny

Ringtones doesn't work in the UK yet. There is a way to do it though:

1. Drag the track you want to convert into a ringtone onto the desktop. You acnnot use a protected track.

2. Edit the track in Quicktime or a similar app and cut the length to about 30 seconds.

3. Save the track to your desktop.

4. Drag the track back into iTunes.

5. Right-click the track and convert to iTunes format.

6. Drag the converted track back to the desktop.

7. Delete the files from iTunes.

8. Use an app like makeiphoneringtone to convert the track to a ringtone.

9. Sync to the phone. If the ringtone is not available in the list it's probably too long.

Cheers

Nov 20, 2007 1:59 AM in response to Earless Puppy

It's a kind of paradox situation: Vodafone has a restraining order against T-Mobile, but doesn't use it. Their aim is to have a principal court ruling about the feasibility of the iPhone business model, especially the SIM lock (which is unusual for Europe) and T-Mobile's cell phone plans. So they didn't stop T-Mobile from selling the phones, and they don't want to because they would have to stop selling their Samsung iPhone clones which have a SIM lock too.

Nov 20, 2007 6:47 AM in response to pershoreginny

Hi,

I have been trying to do this aftrenoon and have encountered a couple of problems.

1. I can't move the imported song back to the desktop after changing it to ACC, i can only delete it. Then i can retrieve it from the recycle bin.

2. I have changed the extension to .m4r but when i re import it back to itunes it automatically adds the extension .m4a on the back of my .m4r.

Any help appreciated.

PS Im using XP so can't use that mac app to do the change.

Nov 20, 2007 7:46 AM in response to Marco79

Hi Marco, I have XP as well and it works:
1. Take any mp3 file, use any editor (lots out there, just search) to edit it down to 30 seconds or less and get it so it sounds the way you like it.
2. Add it to iTunes library (drag into library).
3. Now right-click, convert to AAC
4. Right-click on the new AAC version, choose the Get Info option if you don't know where the file is (Get Info tells you the path to the file)
5. Remove the file from the iTunes library (but don't delete it from the computer)
6. Go to the AAC file, rename the .m4a extension to be .m4r
7. Double-clicking on the renamed m4r file should add it to iTunes in the ring-tones section and the checkbox should be checked (in case syncing is set to only be for checked files)
8. Check your iPhone settings on the Ringtones tab. You should be able to see the ringtones there - select them if you do not have the "All ringtones" option.
9. Sync the phone
10. Go to iPhone, Settings, and you should in the ringtones area see a custom area with your ringtone. If not, you may need to remove the files from iTunes, sync, add them again, sync. (It seems to fail if you at all leave the original files in place while also adding the ringtones)

Hopefully this works for you. It did for me.

Nov 20, 2007 7:52 AM in response to Marco79

few things here ( may be you might have already taken care of them ) but in any case:

1. Make sure your edited song is not more than 30 seconds.
2. you don't have to move it back to the desktop after you've converted to ACC just change the file extension to .m4r
3. and when draging the .m4r file as a ringtone jus open the ringtone page on the iTunes and then drag the file . you should be able to see you rigntone appear on the ringtone page..

hope this helps..

iPhone ringtones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.